If you had $5 until friday to feed your family, what would you buy?

We went to Burger King for breakfast the other morning, and while we were sitting down a family of 5 came in and the mother yelled at the kids for starting to order, saying "we only have $5 until Friday!" (This was SUNDAY mind you!)

So aside from the fact that I sure as heck wouldn't be at Burger King if we only had $5...we talked about what we would buy and essentially came up with a pack of dried beans, a 99 cent canister of oatmeal, the cheapest bread I could find, and the rest in knock off ramen noodles.

People blow my mind!

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:30 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Food & Drink

• That is CRAZY! $5 wow..... I hope that she meant $5 for ice cream! Hardest I ever dug was when I had to feed my family was in 2008 when I had to feed me, our sons (20 & 18) and my husband (plus pack lunches for him) for two weeks on $64. I did that for 5 months straight - 2008 was a bad year for a lot of people.

But $5 huh.... okay - it's just me and DH now.... I could feed us for $5 for a week - biscuits and gravy is all it takes. And that's what $2.30 for flour, and $2 for some cheap canned milk.... and I already have my 'old bacon grease on hand' ; and I'd have enough money left for a bunch of banana's.(they're still 49 cents a bunch) - so yeah, I'm completely on board for a $5 week. (Starvation diet here we come!) Yuck.

But I'm telling you what... when I get some more money.... the first 4 items I'm buying are bowls, spoons, a box of cereal and some milk - so I can eat while I'm shopping for groceries!
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 9:05 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• This sounds like a challenge... are you challenging me? Don't challenge me, I've been watching "Extreme Couponing" on TLC!
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 8:43 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• but then again...why do that when homeless shelters and food ministries seem to be everywhere these days? I'd go stand in line.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:34 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Rice and beans is what I would spend the whole $5 on.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:43 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I get discouraged if I'm that broke,its just hard sometimes for me to conjure up something.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 8:31 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• pinto beans, the whole five dollars worth. And then I would go out in the woods and forage, and go dumpster diving too.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:32 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I would have to go to the food bank.

Not much can be bought for $5 that will go from Sunday to Friday. My son would still need to eat at school and we do not qualify for free lunch and if he had enough money on his lunch acct to last till Friday, than he would be good for the week w/ lunch, than for breakfast, I guess its oatmeal, without milk unless we happen to have some in the fridge, than for dinner its rice and drink water, maybe add some beans to the rice.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 8:33 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• ramen noodles, rice, noodles,
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 8:34 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• First... I'm sure if all she had to her name was $5 she wouldn't have been at BK. There is no way! However with that said I will tell you HAVE made those kind of statements to my kids....I've told them I've only have $5 to pay day or something like that. Not because that is TRULY all I have, but is all I have left of my PLAY-SPENDING money until pay day.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 8:34 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• ya food bank definately too
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 8:35 PM on Apr. 11, 2011