Ideas on a cultural class for Preschoolers?

I am teaching a class on culture for preschoolers ages 4 and 5. I am wondering if you all had any fun ideas to do for my class? I've never taught this before and actually my work just sprung this on me the day before I have to do it so any ideas would help!!!
Thanks.

dbodani

Asked by dbodani at 8:31 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I did an around the world theme for my son's kindergarten class. I made up little passports, airplane tickets, etc. Then I got about 5-6 books that were either about another country or was written by someone in that country. I stamped their passports and off we went. They loved it! Another thing you could do is find some traditions of some of the other countries. For example, find Spring/Easter traditions of Germany, India, Australia, South Africa, etc and do a little bit of each tradition or talk about that tradition or do an art/craft activity based on that tradition. If you are really feeling adventurous, you could make a few snacks from a few different countries. Good luck!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:41 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• You could do weekly themes that kids can visually relate to, You could do one with eating and bring in some sample foods and chopsticks or weave placemats. You could do holidays and celebrations with songs and games from different places and do a pinata and so on. Another week you could do art and do art projects from different countries Another week you could practice saying please, thank you, hello and goodbye in different languages
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 3:57 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• You could relate it to heritage and ask each child's family to bring in something form the country they originate from. The passports are fun and making a snack from each country is wonderful. (You may want to contrast it with how we eat the food in this country... Rice, fish, beans.)
    karischub

Answer by karischub at 7:34 PM on Apr. 12, 2011