Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Could you call CPS on your own child, would your child ever forgive you?

My grandchild is 4 years old and my daughter has been estranged from me for pretty much all of that period. She drinks, she's loud and dirty and quite frankly she stinks. She has no respect for anyone and is pretty much always drunk or something worse. She has a different man in there everyday and my granddaughter frequently complains of them being too 'noisy'. I have her here right now for the night and she has turned up with bruises, an irritation rash and stinking of alcohol. I just feel sick. I can't believe my daughter is like this around her child, I NEVER thought she was this bad. I am not close to this child but she is my granddaughter and I love her. Can I just not give her back to my daughter if I call CPS right now? My daughter is pregnant again according to my granddaughter and I feel for her new baby also. I'm just so worried right now and my head is spinning.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

Answers (23)
  • My mother is a teacher, which means she is also a mandated reporter. She has told me several times, it's my sworn duty to protect children. If I thought you were abusing your kids, I would call, and I would tell you I was calling as well. Doesn't bother me either.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:01 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

  • Is your grandchild taken care of? Is there something going on that is hurting her? physically? emotionally etc that are illegal and would CPS do something about these things?

    Those are things to consider. GL.

    Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 9:02 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

  • I would call the police and have them contact the emergency CPS number.  No way in hell I'd just let her go back.


    Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:02 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

  • You have to do what is best for the child. She can not help herself at this age.

    Answer by Graciesmom528 at 9:03 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

  • You need to protect your granddaughter, so yes I would.


    Answer by musicmom08 at 9:03 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

  • YES I could and would! I've called them on BIl/SIL several times and they've been apprehended twice.
    The good news is the parents are off the drugs now.
    The children are the ONLY thing that matters. Your already estranged from your DD, so what's the worse that can happen? You may save your grand daughter's life, or at lease save her from being sexually abused.
    It may even give your DD the wake up call she needs!

    Answer by mrsvixen at 9:03 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

  • I agree with MrsHouston. Id call CPS and Id keep the girl there until police arrived.

    Answer by k.raine at 9:05 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

  • You ABSOLUTLY have to protect your grandchild! I would definitly turn my own daughter in if I thought it may help in the long run. Who knows, giving her a little "scare" might cause her to get her life together. Besides, CPS can require she take parenting classes -- and it sounds as though she could use some! Give that baby a good hug! Also, Take pics of any bruises or anything. AND CALL!

    Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:05 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

  • Yes I would. My sisters and I called on our parents. (we were all married but 6 kids still lived at home) It broke my heart to do it but I had to do what was right cause I care about my brothers and sister.

    Answer by Brandi300 at 9:06 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

  • You would get a faster response tonight by calling the Police. Are you saying the child has the bruises and irritation rash..or your daughter? If it is the child call the police immediately. I have heard too many family members who didn't want to rock the boat crying over a dead 4, 5 and 6 yr olds body..wishing they had stepped in. Tell them this is your grandchild and what she has told you. Tell them you fear for her saftey. Tell them the chiold may stay with you if needed. The police will call CPS if they believe it is warranted. Often, where I live, the police will remove the child overnight to a safe house (like and grandparent or an aunt) and CPS gets involved and decides whether you house is a safe, healthy place for her to be. I will always be grateful to the nosy neighbors who called on my son and ex DIL. I lived 1500 miles away and had no idea. I've had my grandkids ever since.

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:07 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.