High Back and No Back Booster LAWS for Washington State?

...I'm having trouble finding out what's legal for my state pertaining to high back and no back boosters, and when it's okay to use them, age/weight/height?

sojourner.

Asked by sojourner. at 9:20 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• I know you need a high back if the seat back/head rest isn't able to be adjusted high enough.... like in my huddy's truck we have to have a high back, and in my suv we only need the no-back b/c there is a head rest in the back seat.

Best bet is to call your local Police or Fire department's non-emergency # and ask!! ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:28 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• http://www.wsp.wa.gov/information/faqs.htm#laws

When should I use a booster seat?

Washington law requires a child who is less than 8 years of age or 4'9" tall (which ever comes first) be properly restrained in a child booster seat when both lap and shoulder belts are available. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends booster seats, used in conjunction with lap/shoulder belts, be used until the child is 8 years old unless the child is 4'9".

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:32 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:33 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My kids are grown so I don't know, so I'll bump you.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 9:58 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• As far as an actual high back booster, it's 4 and 40 lbs..im not sure about the no back booster..we just moved to Washington and I looked into this bc I was looking into getting dd a booster when she turned 3..Shes outgrowing her harness..join the car seat safety group, they'll know more about the laws and stuff..but I do know thy a child cannot be in a booster until 4.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 10:09 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• You just need to follow the manufacturer's guidelines. MOST backless boosters only allow you to have a minimum of 4 years and 40lbs. MOST highback boosters allow a minimum of 3 years old and 30lbs. It is best to keep your child in a harness as long as possible. That's all Washington 'requires' when it comes down to boosters. You have to use it correctly, using what the manufacturer's say and install it where the vehicle manual says you can. I'm an car seat instructor in Washington.
    CarSeatJunkie

Answer by CarSeatJunkie at 2:37 PM on Jul. 2, 2011

• Also, if you don't have a headrest in your vehicle, use a highback booster. HBB also offer a bit more side impac protection. IF your child stll sleeps in the vehicle, HBB. I typically recommend BB when the child is much older and has headrests behind their head in the vehicle.
    CarSeatJunkie

Answer by CarSeatJunkie at 2:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2011