Sweet 16 or NO

Need your suggestions...My stepdaughter will be turning 16 next month and does not want to celebrate because she does not want her mother there. My DH and I have had her with us since she was 8. Her mother is calling asking my DH what we have planned because she wants to be apart of it.

She came to us because there were issues in the home..Her mother choose to believe her current husband instead of her daughter.

My feeling is that we just have something for her and not invite the mother..I truly do not want her to miss out on this life experience because of someone else. She is not apart of her life other than a phone call once a month maybe. Help I am torn, and Hubby feels he is stuck in the middle.

sam223

Asked by sam223 at 9:25 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• If yand yr DH dont want her there, she doesnt need to be there. Throw her the sweet 16 ywant, and tell her straight, that she is not welcome. Depending on where y ouwant to have it, if it is at a hotel or something, let security know she is not welcomed and not to let her in. If it is at your house, tell her to stay away or you will call the cops on her for trespassing. She doesnt need to be a part of anything she is not paying for IMO. Just because yr faily, doesnt mean you are absolved of all wrongs and still get to come to the party. Family or not. If ydont want her there, dont let her be there.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 9:52 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• 16 isn't a big deal in our house. Do a nice family party like your daughter wants and don't include the mother.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:28 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I agree with twinsplus. My daughter will be turning 16 this Sunday and she does not want to make a big deal out of it neither. Have a cake a do a family thing and call it a day,it doesn't have to be extavagent to me memorable.
    Annasofia

Answer by Annasofia at 9:34 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Sorry for the spelling.. Typing too fast...
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 9:53 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• @ Mme.Langley its ok I get that way to when Im passionate about a subject....
    sam223

Comment by sam223 (original poster) at 9:56 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• It is her birthday, respect her wishes , she will decide , she is old enough .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 10:01 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My daughter and most of her close friends had very small gatherings for their 16th birthdays. It can be special without it being a big production. If your daughter doesn't want her biological mom coming around than I would respect her wishes. Ask your daughter what she might like to do and let her know that she doesn't need to involve her mom or even let her know about it.
    cege

Answer by cege at 12:04 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My daughter just turned 16, April 7. We usually have a small party for her and her mother does something seperate. Thats the way we have done it and it works. If she is 16 she has the right too her own decisions.
    samif

Answer by samif at 10:51 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Thank You Ladies for your advice....DD actually decided to call her mother and inform her that for her birthday gift she just wanted her to let her enjoy her day and not come....She has decided that she was a group of her bestfriends to come join her for a pool party, simple musice, foods and games....Will be a lovely day after all...
    sam223

Comment by sam223 (original poster) at 8:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2011