Where did the belief in fairies come from?

I am not saying I think they are real but I am a freak about fairies in my house and tats lol. Anyway, I was curious as to where the belief originated. I thought it was in Celtic folklore but I might be wrong on that. Do you think it is fireflies they may have referred to or something bigger than that?

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 9:31 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, it is folklore. Fiction. Similar to the stories written by classic childrens' authors.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:33 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I have to blame it all on Tinkerbell. Other than that I have no idea since I don't believe in them.
    TwinkleLites

Answer by TwinkleLites at 9:35 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Where does the belief in Cows come from? Oh, people who have seen them? Well, I'm betting the belief in fairies comes from people who have seen them. Fairies are very real, you just have to know where to look and how...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:37 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• It didn't just come from one place. Here's more info.

http://www.ilovefairies.com/the_origin_of_fairies.html
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:38 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Thank you musicmom. As for your response Sabrina...I believe every "legend" or folklore comes from someone seeing something of the unknown. Where exactly would you see one? That would freaking awesome~
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 9:42 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• If fairies are real, then why aren't they in science books? Why hasn't anyone throughout the course of history captured one to study it and introduce it as a real species? I believe they are just fictional. Not sure where the idea came from though.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 9:45 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I guess a part of me has never grown up and always had a thing for fairies. Never seen one so can't say if they are real or not but I always wondered if maybe they were just fireflies or something kind of like how the whole mermaid idea came about but to me it is possible I guess. People believe in a god right?
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 9:47 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• If you look at that link, it says something about Catholics believe they are corrupt spirits that were kicked out of heaven. But the Irish believe something totally different.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:50 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I saw that! I never knew that about the Catholic belief. How strange you know? I find them fascinating for some reason
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 9:53 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• quick someone clap!
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 10:26 PM on Apr. 11, 2011