We rescued a dog today (flea advice needed)

it is a Shih Tzu (will be a year old on Mother's day). She was covered in matts and also covered in fleas (I pulled several ticks off as well). Does anyone have any ideas how to kill the fleas and get them off her? If I can't do it tonight I will get capstar and advantage tomorrow.

We did try to shave her down using clippers and she went wild, we did our best to still get all the matts out and I think we have done that. She has had two baths today and still crawling alive with fleas. Help!

smurfyangel

Asked by smurfyangel at 9:42 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Pets

• I will probably get ALOT of slack for this advice...if you don't have a flea shampoo - my mom always uses Dawn Dishsoap when she took in a stray and it always worked (not completely gone but well enough they weren't crawling where you could see them) AND it gives you til tomorrow to get some flea treatment. I'd recommend a proper flea dip and a trip to the salon for a shave. My Shih-tzy is allergic to fleas so he breaks out in a awful sore rash (and the bites swell up and scab) from ONE bite. Be sure to treat year round.
    Congratulations on your addition! And THANK YOU for rescueing.
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 9:53 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Use a good clippers and shave her down....Then give your new furry friend a nice warm soapy bath in a good flea and tick shampoo.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:44 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Dawn dish washing liquid, soap the dog up really well and let it soak on the dog rinse and repeat as necessary.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 9:52 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• yup i agree shave him and then give him a bath alot of them will come off then comb him with a fine tooth comb if you have one to get the stragglers
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 9:45 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• When I worked at petco we suggested the Frontline plus. Thats the best solution to get rid of all the fleas. remove the ticks you do see and like MrsLeftlane said.... shave her down! :]
    KrazyKutie

Answer by KrazyKutie at 9:47 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• We always use frontline and have never had any issues. The fleas die and fall off within 24 hours. I would suggest that since she has so many mats, to just shave her bare and let her hair grow out nicely again. It will probably help in getting rid of fleas anyways :)
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 9:47 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• You need to dip her. YOu can get it at pet smart.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:07 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• i wouldnt give you any slack about that brypmom i have heard that dawn dishsoap works real well i think that was good advice i forgot about it myself or i would have said it too
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 10:52 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Are you avoiding chemicals? If you don't want to do the normal pet flea dip then you give your new dog a bath with any dish soap. The more suds the better! This will help get rid of the fleas but won't necessarily kill all of them. There are many herbal and home recipes you can find online if you don't want to use a chemical that is store bought.
    Otherwise, just go to pretty much any pharmacy, grocery store, or pet store and get a flea killing agent. And remember, your going to have to clean the dickens out of your house for the next week. Those fleas are now on everyone who has come in contact with the dog and they can turn into a real infestation if you aren't totally pro active.
    blainesgirl

Answer by blainesgirl at 7:22 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Dawn with get rid of the fleas that are on the dog but will do nothing for the fleas that are in then environment. I would get somethign from the vet as soon as possible.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:52 AM on Apr. 12, 2011