How do u know who to punish or who's tellin the truth

okay I have a 2,4, and 5 year old...they are always bumping heads and getting into arguments ...One of them will come and tell me something , then the others follows telling something completely different.......what do u do when u dont know who is telling the truth about what happened

momofmonsters27

Asked by momofmonsters27 at 9:47 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• People tend to look right when they are lying (this isnt always true, but mostly) and look left to remember facts and events and stright when they are telling the truth. We ask our kids so many questions that the one that is lyings story will start to not make any sense. Then you know...
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 9:50 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Just as my mother did, we were responsible for each other...So if one got in trouble we did....My boys know that they are responsible for making sure the other do as they are supposed to, otherwise they both get punished
    sam223

Answer by sam223 at 9:50 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• ohhh yes, i have a 5 3 and 2. i taught my kids not the tattle tail, unless its serious. i can tell when each of my kids are lying to me just by how they are when they tell me! idk its hard to tell sometimes!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 9:52 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Our rule is, if they tell the truth they won't get in trouble. If none of them can tell the truth then they all get in trouble.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:53 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• If my Mother wasn't sure we both got punished. With my girls when one tattled on the other, I'd tell the tattler, I can't punish her now because you tattled, let me catch her myself. Depending on what she was tattling about. If they all know they'll be punished then maybe it will stop, but it's going to be hard on the 2yr old.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 9:53 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My mom usually blamed the oldest (i.e. ME) ... and this is why I only had one ... I knew who was guilty. =o)
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:54 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• IF they are arguing - doesn't matter - they both are involved in the argument and both get punished.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:54 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• thanks everyone......maybe if i tell them they don't lie they wont get into trouble...i hope maybe it will teach them that the truth is better off..........
    momofmonsters27

Comment by momofmonsters27 (original poster) at 9:57 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I always told my kids lying was worse than whatever it was they were lying about! If I couldn't tell, all the parties involved had to deal with a consequence until the guilty one fessed up. When that happened they had to make it up to their siblings by first apologizing and then doing a chore of theirs or helping them out in some way.

I've also told my children that if they tell the truth the consequence won't be a severe but there will still be a consequence for their actions, they need to know that even though they tell the truth that doesn't mean they can just get away with whatever it was they did.

In our case it's worked, there was only a few occasions when they were younger I had to even follow through with this :o)
    qwietpleez

Answer by qwietpleez at 10:07 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• i put both of mine in time out, because if it was serious enough for them to try to get each other in trouble, they both had a part in it, and they both get punished!
    DLCarter2011

Answer by DLCarter2011 at 10:18 PM on Apr. 11, 2011