Rant, my daughter's preschool told me today that they are closing April 21st

We were on a waiting list for months to get into this school, and now they give me 2 weeks notice that they are closing!! My daughter loves it there and has done so well I hate to have to move her, but clearly I have no choice. Has anyone ever sent there child to a home daycare? Do you think that home day cares are better or worse? My daughter is 2 and has been in a small preschool 10-15 kids since she turned 2, she was with a family friend before that. I really just want her to be happy where she ends up but it is such a pain interviewing and then hoping that you made the right choice. I have emailed the director to see if she has any recommendations, but now I'm worried that the other schools in the area are going to be full, and what am I supposed to do then, I can't quit my job. My daughter learned so much at this school and their rates are so reasonable, every other school in the area is like $150 a week for 2 half days, we were paying $90.00 for 5 half days.

shrugging

damselphish

Asked by damselphish at 9:51 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I was overwhelmingly happier with a home daycare for my DD. I specifically wanted her ot be in a home that was a home and not a classroom. I wanted her to learn through play while in a home environment. I wanted her to get personal attention. Hugs and Kisses. For her to feel like she was in a second home with people she loved and who loved her in return. I found exactly what I was looking for. While this woman no longer watches my daughter, we are still good friends. My daughter still loves her dearly and is excited to see her.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:56 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Enroll her in part day Headstart if you have that program in your area. They don't charge for part day.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 9:57 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I love home day care. I have a nanny that come to my house so that is convienient, but before that we took our kids to a lisenced provider and she was WONDERFUL! She ended up getting a new job (we had her 3 years) at the local school district working with disabled kids. The lady we have now I think is too patient, but better than being a monster lol. And because of the economy you can get someone super inexpensive. Our lady I think is just lonely. She has 2 kids and her husband is int he military and just signed another 10 year term. She doesnt even need the money. I think it gives her a sense of purpose...
    Anywho off on my tangents lol
    I love in home. Things to look for:
    Go visit when the kids are awake. How are the kids doing? Is she frustrated? Kids screaming? Or calm all around? Is the place clean? Seek out honesty. She will not be perfect no matter what, so if she makes herself sound perfect I would stray away.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 9:59 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• We had our daughter in a home daycare when we first tried daycare. That was ok, they were nice to her but I can't say any of us really enjoyed it. We now have her in a church ran daycare. It's one of the best in our county if not THE best. She loves it! They are so good with her there and she has so much fun. The staff are marvelous with her and keep me informed on everything going on. Plus I also enjoy that while there main focus isn't religious it still has the undertones about God (that works well for our family). They actually also have a curriculum that helps get kids ready for school. It is well known in our area that the children who go to this day care start kindergarten with a better knowledge base than most. So I"m just going to say that for our family I like the school setting more than the at home setting.

Jamie-Leigh

Answer by Jamie-Leigh at 11:24 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Be so careful as to what home daycare and make sure they are licensed and what not
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 12:47 AM on Apr. 13, 2011