how do I get my 6 yr old daughter to quit whining and complaining so much?

My DD has taken up whining about everything, from getting dressed and doing her hair to chores and school. Does anyone know what I can do to make her stop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It's a phase. She will get over it. Don't call too much attention to it and it will soon pass.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:11 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Do not pay any attention to it. Do not acknowledge her at all with whining. I have a 6 yr old dd doing the same thing. I won't answer her or acknowledge her even being there until she corrects herself. It has helped A LOT!!!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 12:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I have a 6 year old daughter and she does it sometimes, and I try to stay calm and just ask her why are you whinning, and its usually cause she wants something that she can't have like a new toy or something sweet and I explain to her why I don't think she needs those things and she is fine after that and then she will say I am sorry mommy.
    Mommie2kye_kc

Answer by Mommie2kye_kc at 12:33 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Good luck! My 7 year old son is the same way. But I do find that when I ask him to do something in a pleasant tone rather than getting frustrated by the initial whine... he reacts differently. If we get whiney, they get whiney. I try to always say please let the dog out for me... rather than let the dog out Max!! Is she your first born? Order of birth means alot too. I have tended to baby my oldest because he was my first and down the line that changes because you just become more busy. Sad but true.
    jillybean517

Answer by jillybean517 at 2:15 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Jillybean517, my DD is the middle child. Idk when you said that maybe its bc her younger brother was just dx'd with autism and I've had to work with him more, her older brother is adhd, but also is out at friends houses a lot. She doesn't get to go out with friends as much bc I don't know any of their parents and none of them live in our neighborhood.
    Anonymous

• What is she getting out of it? Do you give in once in a while? If she whines and complains while dressing let her shut her door. Chores? If she complains add another chore to her load. Negative attitudes can bring down the whole house. Who wants to listen to someone gripping and complaining? Get the jobs done and then everyone can relax. grannywilson
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 10:05 PM on Dec. 1, 2008