Anyone have tips on how to get a baby to sleep through the night

I have a 7 month old that still wakes up 3 times a night to eat

shantaa_alvara

Asked by shantaa_alvara at 10:17 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Good luck honey! I have a 3mo old, a 3yo and a 4yo... ALL of them get up at least once a night!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:19 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• try giving him/her a bottle of milk WITH baby cerial mixed into it... make it thick, it will keep the tummy full longer. i did that with my son when he was 5 months old and he slept through the night! try it. it really works!
    dfwhite

Answer by dfwhite at 10:21 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I have a 9 month old and I literally have to give him a bowl of cereal before he goes to bed so he'll sleep through the night (only sometimes). It's not for sure, but it seems to be helping! GL!
    Anonymous

• I would have bundled or swaddled the baby since birth. I did that with all of mine. I had five.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 10:24 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Try keeping him up as long as possible before bed (If he goes to sleep at 6, give him a bath, see if he can make it til 6:30 or 7. Then at those times he is up at night, don't turn on lights, or music, make it look like night, and just keep it up. He'll begin eating more, and sleeping longer :)
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:28 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Do you feed the baby solids yet? When my son was that age he slept through the night I would do the same routine every night , I would feed him dinner, give him a bath, massage after, give him a bottle, sometimes read to him and he would go to sleep as long as they are dry and full they will sleep through the night
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 10:28 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I gave my son formula with baby cereal init and gave him a nice warn bath wraped him up nice and warm then gave him and bottle and put on some classical music and he slept through the night
    ukeepmegoing

Answer by ukeepmegoing at 10:30 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Good luck the sleep thru the night is a myth, most do not. Mine did not until she was 10month to a year & still wakes up sometimes.
    I would not put cereal in a bottle it is a choking hazzard and by this age you could spoon feed it to them it you think it will help.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 10:35 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• cereal in a bottle is a choking hazard, don't do it. if you want to give your child cereal, please do it with a spoon. right now, at 7 months, i'm pretty sure it's more of a habit of waking up and if you put him to sleep while eating, then he's used to that. both my kids were sleeping through the night at 6 months, 8pm-8am. dd didn't even have cereal, she was only on formula until she was 9 months, when i started her on table food, and even then, sometimes cereal doesn't even make them sleep through the night!

i'd just nip the routine in the bud now. lay him down at night when he's sleepy, not when he's already asleep. this will help him soothe himself to sleep, and later you will be able to lay him down without him freaking out on you, he'll know it's bedtime and go to sleep. i did the CIO method...the CORRECT way. the CIO method has nothing to do with letting them scream for hours on end. it only took about 3 days.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:41 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• If he sleeps 5 hours a night, he is sleeping all night. Babies aren't meant to sleep all night. They wake to eat, to roll over, if they hear something, to pee. I, as an adult, do NOT sleep like a rock 8 hours straight. I wake up to roll over even. It is only because I am an adult that I can fall back asleep quickly.

http://themominformed.blogspot.com/2011/03/sleep-training-does-it-work.html

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:52 PM on Apr. 11, 2011