throwing up

I have a 4 month old boy who just recently started throwing up. he has been throwing upthe past three days. we'll feed him and when we burp him he will throw up or he wont and when we lay him down he will. if we can get him to sleep b4 he throws up he usually digests most of it but a lot of times when he wakes up he'll throw up a little. the only thing he seems to keep down is his pedialyte and thats only 90% of the time. he doesnt seem sick he is actually happy and active but its just that hour or so after he eats or after he eats and takes his nap(which is usually 4 hours long). What should i do?

Autumnleaves09

Asked by Autumnleaves09 at 12:14 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would call your pedi if you haven't already
    Anonymous

• Same as PP. But also try smaller amounts. Do an ounce at a time until it stays down if necessary.
    Anonymous

• How much is actually coming out? Is it throwing up or spitting up? Regardless, if this is out of character for your baby, call a doctor.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:32 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• he is throwing up a lot like if he eats 2 oz he throws up 1 to 1 1/2 oz
    Autumnleaves09

Answer by Autumnleaves09 at 1:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• i'm assuming since you are giving pedialyte you have already contacted your doctor. This should only be given to such a young child under doctor supervision.
    Try burping in between ounces or every three minutes or so if you are breastfeeding.
    Also, if you have switched anything with him, like different brands of formula or started cereal, revert to your former routine.
    If the baby is breastfed, check your diet. if you have changed anything or added medications, change back.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:38 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Is it spit up (the kind he doesn't seem to notice) or is it vomit (violent throwups that upset the baby)? If it is happening after every feeding, and the vomit happens progressively closer to feeding times, it could be pyloric stenosis (where the valve at the bottom of the stomach swells shut, not allowing food to pass to the intestines). Symptoms start to show up in most babies between 3 weeks old, and six months old. It is a condition that about 1 in every 300 babies get, 80% of those cases being in first born males.

If the baby starts to violently throw up within half an hour of feeding him, take him to the E.R. and let them know you suspect pyloric stenosis. They can feel for something called an "olive pit" on his stomach, and can do an xray to confirm.
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 1:43 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• My son had it, so if that is what it seems to be, I can answer any more questions you may have... Good luck, I hope he's ok!
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 1:44 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• It sounds like the same problem that I've been having with my little boy, he is 6 months old now but this started back when he was just a few weeks old. He spits up (throw up is more like it) all the time, up to 4 hours after eating and he eats every 4 hours. I've changed formulas, solids and it doesn't seem to make a difference. And although he is a very happy baby, it does seem that it has begun to upset him.

The Doctor said that once he ate solids that it would stop, and when it didn't she said that once he crawls it will stop ( I don't believe it will). She won't do anything until he is a year old...so my advice, tell a doctor and then go to a second doctor and see if their answers match up.
    apple_bottom

Answer by apple_bottom at 1:45 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Is it throw up or spit up? It's sounding more like spit up, based on the fact that you said he doesn't seem to mind it. My three month old goes through phases of spitting up a lot as well, but I'm not really concerned, he doesn't seem to be uncomfortable and he's still eating well. Keep in mind that that also have a lot of mucus and saliva mixed in with the stuff that comes up, which makes it look like a lot more than it is.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:02 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• it could be reflux or lactose intolerant. try talking with your doc to see if he can test for these things. there is special formula that helps with both conditions. good luck
    fcangel9

Answer by fcangel9 at 3:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2008