Women with STDs shouldn't have babies

I was sitting in my graduate course and we were talking about STDs and the psychological effects of having any STD that doesn't go away such as, herpes, HIV, Hepatitis, HPV... others I may be forgetting. Anyway, a few women in the back of the class and one man started discussing the idea that women with incurable STDs shouldn't be "allowed" to have babies. I was a little shocked by the comments. However, I hate when anyone feels like they should be able to dictate baby making. I know I don't agree with their comments especially when precautions are taken so the baby doesn't contract these diseases. What do you ladies think?

kaylan010

Asked by kaylan010 at 10:49 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I personally think they shouldn't if the STD will be passed onto the baby. The baby will suffer his/her whole life with it.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:51 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I think it depends. I read a post not too long ago about a girl that contracted an STD while pregnant from her cheating husband. She didn't cause this to happen to herself. She should be able to. People that know they have an std but are too lazy to wrap it up and put another human being through that kind of torture is selfish and does not deserve kids.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 10:53 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Considering 1 in 4 women have the HPV virus....that's telling an awful lot of people not to have kids. I do not think anyone has the right to dictate who should have kids, and how many they should have.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 10:54 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• There are many ways to prevent passing an STD, including AIDS, to a baby. It's knowledge that is the key and ignorance that allows people to think this way.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:55 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Depends on the STD. Some STDs can be spread to an infant easily while others can't. In some cases a C-Section would prevent the spread, in some medications. I think as long as the Doctor is confident that the baby can be brought into the world healthy then it is not a problem in my book. If it is the doctors recommendation that the woman not have children then it would be selfish for her to try.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:57 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I'm only against it if it's going to harm the baby, or the risks are too high. Herpes can cause infant blindness if baby came in contact with the virus during delivery. HIV can be contracted as well. But I don't know too many people willingly trying to make a baby with someone who has AIDS or HIV because it usually entails unprotected sex or expensive in vitro sessions.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:02 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I lol in the face of ignorance.
    luv.my.kids.365

Answer by luv.my.kids.365 at 11:06 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• That is HORRIBLE! I mean if you have HIV I do think it would be SELFISH to have a baby knowing the risk, although there are medications to help keep newborn infants from getting it, but things like Herpes, hpv, etc. there are things that CAN and usually ARE done to prevent the baby from contracting it or causing any harm.

Anonymous

• If a mother has HIV or AIDS a c-section can help prevent the baby from getting it
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:13 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• it isnt our place to say who can and cant have kids
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 11:19 PM on Apr. 11, 2011