Does taking cold medicine decrease milk supply?

I've had a terrible cold the last week and took Nyquil / Dayquil over the weekend to help fight it. But now my milk supply is half what it was. Will it come back naturally since I've stopped taking the meds or will I need to take Reglin to build it back up?

NewportRI_Mom

Asked by NewportRI_Mom at 10:53 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Those things are designed to "dry you up" Did your Dr say you could take those things? They are excreted in breast milk ya know. Cant be g good for the baby. You also need to drink ALLOT more water when taking those things
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:54 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• yeah anything you take in the baby takes in so it's proabably a good thing you dried up for a bit give the meds a chance to get out of your system so you dont pass it to the baby
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 10:57 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Yes. If it contains any kind of decongestant. Decongestanst like pseodophedrine(sp?) cause the moister in your sinuses to dry out. But they can also cause you overall dehydration. It's better not to take OTC medications while breastfeeding, unless you have cleared it through your doctor. Cold medication only treats the symptoms of a cold, not treat it. REST, lots of fluids, and extra vitamin C rich foods will help.
    KristyAb

Answer by KristyAb at 10:59 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Anything with pseudoephedrine will cause you to dry up, but if you only took one dose I can't imagine it would make THAT much of a supply decrease. What makes you think your supply is HALF of what it was?

And as for taking Reglan, have you taken it before?

There are lots of other ways to increase your supply..

I would love to offer more advice if I had a little more information on your situation...

Good Luck!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 4:18 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I would talk to my doctor before taking anything more
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:46 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• to regain your supply you need to either feed or pump more frequently, even if its only a small amount, the frequency is what matters when trying to build supply :)
    sarlove01

Answer by sarlove01 at 12:17 AM on Apr. 14, 2011