Haven't heard from the doctor and starting to get pissed

My son has been feeling pretty crapy and for the last 2 1/2 days he decided that he wasn't going to eat or drink much of anything, which forced me to make him drink so he wouldn't get dehydrated. He is sluggish, his temp will get to 100.3 and goes down after I give his Tylenol. He isn't sleeping and I have gotten 4 hours of sleep (not strait hours!) a night for 3 days now. He's not sleeping cause he is to hot, I have the fan on heat off, and he is in a dipper with a sheet and he still gets to hot and wakes up crying... I'm mad as hell. Should i call again, wait or just show up at the office? The only good thing is the damn rash is gone! Oh and It's been 3 hours. I thought that would be more then enough time to call back crap... Sorry need to vent and need advice./

Amber1109

Asked by Amber1109 at 12:21 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Kids' Health

• You should call and make an appointment. This time of year is very busy for doctors. Usually they will have a sick clinic at pediatricians for children who are ill and need to be seen right away. I would call and ask if they have anything like that and just go in or ask for a walk in appt.

Answer by gemgem at 12:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• or you can just take him to the er
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 12:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I'd call back. If those are the only symptoms, there's not much the doc will do for you. If you're child doesn't turn around soon or develops other symptoms or signs of dehydration, then you should take him in.
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon, just keep calling back. It sounds like your baby had roseolla which is a normal childhood illness that they only get one time in life. It has a 24 hour rash and a low grade fever. I would recommend giving him motrin because it lasts for 6-8 hours, and giving him a luke warm bath because that will also help drop his temp. Once you have his temp. down give him some pedialyte.

Definatelly trust your mommy instincts though, if you think he needs to see a doctor then he probably does. GL

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 12:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• We thought it was roseolla too, but when we read more about it, it didn't fit. We thought it was fifths first then the roseolla, now maybe strep. Shoot I just don't know anymore. I'm not all here right now sorry, a little tired, and to the point where i can't seem to think strait anymore.
    Amber1109

Answer by Amber1109 at 1:01 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Might be worth a trip to the ER if the docs won't give you attention. He's obviously feeling ill so the high temp is a big problem. If he had the temp and was acting fine that'd be different. He needs to drink to avoid dehydration b/c of the body burning off any fluids. My guess is that despite him being so hot, he's not sweating.
    Anonymous

• Ok, maybe it is just me. I am missing something. This is what I read:
    Rash
    Temp
    sore throat
    lethargy
    not eating or drinking.

Does it look like chicken pox?
    I would definitely take him in. A child who refuses to eat or drink should always be seen.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 8:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Nevermind the chicken pox.
    But take the kid in and sit in their laps. :) BTDT.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 8:05 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I would not let them give you another pat on the head or ignore you. I would march his ass into the office and get right in their faces about the fact that they have ignored you or better yet take him to the ER and let them know that the peds office ignored you. I would also find a new doctor
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:22 PM on Dec. 5, 2008