Pooping Fears?

My daughter is 2 1/2 and is interested on using the potty. She isn't quite ready to activly potty train but I noticed when she starts pooping (potty or diaper) she doesn't push. She stands there and kinda holds it and repeativly states that she doesn't want to poop. (Her words exactly)

I've tried explaining that pooping is normal and even take her with me to show her that I poop too but it doesn't seem to be working.

I was wondering if anyone else has had "pooping fears" and how they dealt with it. I'm waiting for the "Everyone Poops" and "It Hurts When I Poop" books to arrive in the mail and wanted some ideas

ANuBBie

Asked by ANuBBie at 11:03 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It may be that the poop is just too solid and DOES hurt. Have you tried adding a little more apple juice to her diet? Too much apple juice in MY house gives us the runs.

Another suggestion: When she does start potty training, and is (possibly) afraid of pooping on the toilet let her squat on the seat. We did that with my son when he potty trained because we had monsters in our toilet that were trying to get him/his poop. It was really only the water splashing on contact, but HE didn't know that.

Good Luck Momma!
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:19 PM on Apr. 11, 2011