How do you make a 2 yr old sleep??

We have tried room darkening shades, blankets on the windows, bribing her, threatening her, putting a gate at her door, later bed times, putting her back in bed when she gets up and NOTHING is working. She insists on getting up at 5:45 every morning even though she is still a zombie. By 8:30 she is ready to be killed and in need of a nap. Any ideas on how to end this horrid cycle shes got going on?

mommymeg2002

Asked by mommymeg2002 at 11:11 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you figure out a legal way of doing it PATENT the idea and write a book! Youll be rich. Iv known parents who dosed their kid's with cough syrup to make them sleepy. And I so wouldnt do that to a child If I were you.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:13 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Shes been given benadryl for allergies and it winds her up to the moon!! I dont think ANYTHING will knock this kid down.
    mommymeg2002

Comment by mommymeg2002 (original poster) at 11:16 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• before bed at nite, do some exercise with her... make it a contest (and let her win cuz she'll have more energy than you)..run her ragged basically... also milk and peanut butter before bed is a good sleep inducer... or chamomile tea with milk
    goodi2shooz

Answer by goodi2shooz at 11:17 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Put a stack of stickers having her favorite characters on her dresser, up high where she cannot reach. At night when you tuck her in, remind her about the stickers and tell her if she stays in her room until you come get her, she will get one of the stickers. Make a **huge** deal out of the first time she complies and give her the sticker right away. Keep doing it and eventually you will be able to reduce/eliminate the reward.

PS, when my daughter would not sleep through the night when she was 2, I had a little chat with her. I said, "Ok, when you wake up, just say to yourself, oh, I'm awake. Then say, oh, I can go back to sleep. Close your eyes and you'll go back to sleep." She said "Ok, Mommy". She did it the very next night and never came into my room again. Sometimes we just need to tell them what to do...
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 11:22 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Does she understand what clocks or alarms mean. My niece was a little older when we tried this but, we set an alarm for an appropriate time and that was when she was allowed to come out ofnher room or we would come and get her. Shed get bored in her room and go back to sleep, and if she didn't sleep more, at least we got more sleep to be able to deal with her grumpiness.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 1:28 AM on Apr. 12, 2011