Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is there any kind of therapy..

That helps seperated parents get along? My DDs dad & I desperately need it. We just need to be on the same page. We have communication problems & I made the choice to seperate for awhile. If it will help us get to the point we are both ready to continue the relationship & engagement, great. We both have agreed on some kind of therapy, we just don't know which kind.

Would couples therapy be good in this situation even if we aren't necessarily a couple?

Answer Question

Asked by Marix3 at 11:20 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Relationships

Level 14 (1,755 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • yes couples counseling can help. Just let the therapist know you two aren't together but would like to get a long better and communicate better for the kids fake.

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:22 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

  • child and family services

    Answer by gwen20 at 11:31 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

  • A psychologist or a licensed family marriage therapist (LFMT) can be a start. Don't be discouraged if the counseling doesn't work at first. Sometimes you have to find a counselor that clicks and gives you the kind of interaction you want. There are some counselors that sit back and let you do all the talking and there are some that ask deep questions, give you homework and really try to analyze you and your thought process. Shop around and find out as much as you can about their style/approach to counseling on your first appointment. Then, go with the one that seems to work best for the both of you. Different counselors follow different schools of psychology (psychoanalytical, cognitive, biopsychosocial, humanist, evolutionary, etc.) A good counselor will ask questions and lead the discussion.

    Answer by hellokittykat at 11:31 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.