GRR, what difference does it make ?

My sister in law told me she had alot of 24 month size clothing that her daughter cant wear anymore and wanted to know if I wanted it since I am pregnant with a girl. I said that I can just give them to my friend since her daughter is about that size and I dont want to have to save those clothes for 2 whole years ...

she said ok but then said that there are 2 outfits that were really expensive that she wants to save for the baby....

Does anyone else think that is rude / stupid ? she was going to give them away and just because it is my friend she doesnt want her to have them because they were expensive outfits ..... does she think that I would have kept them after my child grew out of them ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Maybe she just feels that she can trust you to care and take care of them better?
    Blue_Spiral

Answer by Blue_Spiral at 11:33 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I think she loved the outfits and wants to 'see' them used again by another child she loves. There is nothing wring with her wanting your DD to have certain outfits vs. someone she doesn't know.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:33 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• No its not rude or stupid. She was just trying to help you and she is okay for you to give most to your friend. Maybe she just wants to know she is trying to help you out in some way or be able to see her favorite outfit of her daughters on your niece,
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:34 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• She probably feels an attachment to the clothes, and they would still in a sense be around her, but not taking up space in her house if you used them for your baby. :)
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:35 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I don't think it's that big of a deal. Babies grow fast and before you know it they will be going into another size. There is nothing wrong with hand-me-downs. Me and my sister did it all the time. That is until our daughters had major height differences. Think of the money it would save you in the long run. Baby clothes cost a lot. Put them up, you never know what your life will be like in two years. A lot of people are getting laid off and it would be great to know that you have them in case you need them. You should be thankful that she even asked you. A lot of people would have said yes.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:49 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I would tell her to hang on to them you never know if you will be needing them in 2 yrs or not. and if she has an attachment to some of it then so be it
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:04 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Rude and stupid? Not at all. I think it's an aunt who wants to save something that is, for whatever reason, special to her for her niece. If anything I think it's sweet.

When my kids were born we got quite a few special hand-me downs from family. we didn't use them all because simply weren't our "style." BUT, irregardless of what I thought of the clothes or that my SIL had saved them for 16 years, it was special to us to have them in our possession because we knew how much they meant to SIL. Most of what she gave us she wanted back as keepsakes from her son's infancy. Other people simply handed down used stuff that had no sentimental value to them and they could care less what we did with it. Instead of being critical of your SIL, be grateful you've got one that wants to share something important to her with you.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 7:48 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Well...I think perhaps your being rude for finding a generous offer so offensive and broadcasting as a it as bitch-fest on the internet. Your SIL is trying to do a nice thing for you and in response you post it up on the web and call her stupid for it? Huh. Seems to me your adjectives are in the wrong place.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I think it is very nice of her to let the outfits be passed to someone else. I can understand her wanting those special outfits be put on a child she loves and cares about
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 8:00 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Honestly I think you were rude, she gave you these things that she might have sold ifit werent to family! Sorry but true!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:37 AM on Apr. 12, 2011