Would you let your inlaws nickname your baby ?

I have always loves the name Nevaeh, it is so cute and unique, so that is what i am going to name my daughter. My boyfriends mom and sister are saying they are going to call her NeaNea ( nay nay - like the sound a horse makes), I think she are saying it because they don't like me and they dont like the name Navaeh ( his sister even tried to tell me that it is sooooo common and everything, even though I have only heard of one other Nevaeh) , so I tried to have my boyfriend to make them not call her that and now he is all on board with them, because they made him believe it is in honor of his aunt Renee ( who they called neanea) , so now he said it is cute too...

This bugs me alot, i dont like that nickname and I am naming her Nevaeh for a reason - that is what I want her to be called !!!!

How mad would you be and how would you get them to not call her that ( because I doubt they will listen to me, because they never have listened to anything else I have said )

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• My family always try to call my son TJ and I hate it his name is Thomas Jacob and his the 5th in the line with the name so my hubby goes by tommy his dad goes by tom so my son goes by Thomas
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 11:44 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Not a lot you can do , other than voice your opinion once then let it go (pray about it).
    My kids' names are very short so there are really no nicknames other than the ones I give them-
    But I say, make it known how you feel, then let it go. Sorry :/
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:47 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• i dont think theres any way you can really control it. I mean you can put your foot down somehow and get THEM to not do it but there will always be someone giving her a nickname. kids at school/friends, other relatives, etc. I really think its inevitable for most kids.
    and your daughter might like it later in life. a nickname is a term of endearment, it will make her feel special to tell people "well my grandma calls me~"
    you know what i mean?
    I get where youre coming from, its a respect issue that they write off what you decide to call her.. just know, even if you win this battle, there will be more in the future.
    Anonymous

• My MIL calls my DD Lise-- We call her Lisey--short of Annalise.

It drives me crazy. She also calls her "Munch" short for munchkin--don't like this either.

I just deal b/c she only sees her about 3-4 times a year.
    Anonymous

• No. We named our babies and we chose their nicknames - nobody else had any say.

MIL thought she could call them whatever SHE wanted, but quickly learned that in order to have our son actually respond to her, she needed to address him by his actual name.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 12:10 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• To answer the original question, yes my inlaws tried to name my daughter, it offended me but i think it was just the pregnancy hormones. To make a comment to you on the name, yes I have heard Navaeh as a name A LOT lately
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:46 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• you may find the name cute, but wasn't it like the #1 baby name recently? It 800,999 other moms give their baby girl the name, it is no longer considered unique

My MIL refuses to call my son OR my daughter their preferred nick names and they're old enough now to let her know that bothers them/irritates them. In laws need to respect you and your rules, names, wishes, etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:47 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• only if it was a name i agreed with!
    mrstheriault

Answer by mrstheriault at 12:48 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• It is a really common name. Heaven spelled backwards, you really think that is unique?? As far as the nickname.... good luck trying to change that... a friend of mine named her dauhter Nevaeh... her nickname is neve.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Whatever, I have never heard the name, besides once.... it IS unique to me .
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:59 AM on Apr. 12, 2011