At what age did you have your dog fully house broken

and peeing outside instead of in

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 11:48 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Pets

• Most puppies have bladder control for 3-4 hours by 12-14 weeks of age. By 6-8 months most dogs are 90% reliable with housetraining, some breeds like labs for example are 100% by 6 months. There really is a difference between breeds, some are categorically more difficult to housetrain than others.

By 18 months all of my dogs, regardless of breed have been 100% reliable out of a crate in the house with house training. My american bulldog took the longest time, but I feel the bigger breeds mature a little more slowly : )
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:40 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I got my dog when was 6 months and it only took me 1 week to potty train him.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 11:50 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Our puppy is 12 weeks old. And very rarely has an accident in the house. We have a doggie door so that helps
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 2:25 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• We rescued our dogs when they were pups...they were potty trained within a couple weeks....Crate training makes a world of difference and is not mean to the dog....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 3:20 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I have had puppies that were trained with a matter of days, and I have animals that never seemed to really catch on to the idea of not peeing inside. It just depends on the breed, how much attention you can give it, and how strict you are with it.
    blainesgirl

Answer by blainesgirl at 6:54 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My youngest dog was about 4 months old when he was completely housebroken. It took me three weeks. But in his case I started late because he had to be confined to a crate and had to use puppy pad due to having issues with his legs when we found him. My oldest dog came to us at 7 months and only took a few weeks. My third dog was already housebroken when we got him.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:50 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My Shepherd/Lab mix was house trained about three weeks after we got her.

My BRT had one accident in the house. He was trained within a week.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 9:48 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I got my Shelties at 7 wks (they're 2yrs apart) and I believe each one took about a month to be completely accident-free.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:59 AM on Apr. 12, 2011