God my son is so mean to me

My son just pulls my hair all the time pulls out a lot of hair! And then he his nails grow fast so he hurts me with his nails if when I cry b/c his hurting me really bad he doesn't care I put him in the corner nothing right when he gets out he starts all over again idk what to do I pulled his hair back to should him it hurts and he'll cry then he'll starts again idk what to do btw his 2 and 1/2

enaNianza

Asked by enaNianza at 11:50 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Respond gently. Redirect (take him outside and talk about the birds and such). Read to him a LOT. (my local library gives each of my child a card, plus me- thats 150 books we can check out at a time)

What does he enjoy doing?
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:53 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• your son is not mean, he's a baby. he doesn't understand what hurting people means. hes just trying to figure out the world by testing things around him. pulling his hair back doesn't teach him anything about pulling your hair. he isn't old enough to make a connection that they are the same thing and you are feeling that same pain. he isn't old enough to grasp that concept. teaching him its not okay by telling him it is an owie will help him understand it isnt ok and it will also teach him that it is painful. i also agree with everything txdaniella said.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Yes what she said too :) Say "owie, that gave mommy an owie" and show a sad face, but redirect him (find something else for him to look at/ do) like get out some wooden puzzles, or see if he will help "make" lunch, like pour out his goldfish crackers into a bowl with your help. Kids LOVE to help in the kitchen
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:07 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Does he see anybody else treat you like that? Children learn what they see, and if he sees someone else do that he is going to do it too. Maybe he is trying to get attention. Try spending some more time with him and see if it helps. I would also try some time outs.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:32 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I spend all day with him and noone has ever touch me in that way
    enaNianza

Comment by enaNianza (original poster) at 12:46 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Sorry..toddlers are little devils..got one too! I disagree with that they are saying. I don't think that once your child pulls your hair you should give him goldfish. What is that going to teach him...he get's to help mom if he's naughty? I always try to teach about emotions so along with a time out(since he isn't understanding emotions yet) tell him that it hurts you and that you don't want him to hurt you. I tell my daughter that I don't play with people who use mean hands and walk away from her. I also don't do "time outs" with her. I sit her down somewhere that she can't reach anything and I tell her once her body and voice are calm and she isn't going to hurt anyone she can get up. She (usually) calms herself down and gets up, says sorry or gives me a hug and then goes on with life. I don't make her say sorry but I've told her before that when I hurt people I say sorry so she got it from that. Just don't give in.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 2:44 AM on Apr. 12, 2011