Advice on my 5 week old's appetite

That getsEvery night around the same time (10pm or so) I feed my him what I like to call the "bed time" bottle. I give him 3oz like he normally takes and he STILL isn't full. So I'll make another ounce and give him that, and he STILL isn't full. So ill give him another and the process repeats until finally he is satisfied. Crazy thing is that even though he has had this amount during this feeding he is still waking up every 2 hours. I don't know what it is about this feeding in particular but he only does it during this one. I feel like I am giving him way too much but on the other hand I cannot deny him food when he is going nuts trying to eat his fingers, arms, me, and anything else that gets near his mouth. Any opinions?

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 12:11 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• in my opinion it sounds like he is just eating what he needs/wants.
    if you aren't already doing it, try writing down the times he eats and the amounts. then you can look back a day or two and see if its a regular pattern. maybe he needs a more structured feeding time, or maybe its just fine. plus if you ever need to bring it up to a doctor then you have everything written down all ready,
    also if he isn't having reflux or bad gas or anything other negative side effect from eating that amount at that time, then i wouldn't be concerned. but i can see why you would be wondering about it.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 12:15 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I would log how many ounces total he eats in a day. DD did that too, but it was because she wasn't eating well the rest of the day and was "making up" for it.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 12:33 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Does he spit up after that? All babies do eat different amounts :) If he doesn't spit up, personally I think it's okay. Our DD has eaten 5 oz since 4 weeks, and the pedi looked at us like we were lying and said "well as long as she keeps it down." Is there something else you could do to get his attention on something else (of course that's if you think hunger is not the issue) maybe a toy with a light on it, or toy with music?
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 7:48 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• log how many ounces he drinks and then consult your doctor about what to do next
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:45 AM on Apr. 12, 2011