General bike trailer questions. if you've used one, I want your opinion!

I'm considering buying a bike trailer soon and I have a few general questions about them.

are they considered safe? (the one I might get comes with an orange flag, the whole thing is bright orange and I will probably add some reflectors to the back and sides)
should children wear helmets while riding in them?

what are your experiences with them, good and bad? and what are your opinions on them in general.

thanks ladies!

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 12:27 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I have a Chariot Cougar, which I'm very happy with. Children should ALWAYS wear a helmet in the trailer. Giro makes a good one for little ones. It's not recommended to use a trailer for kids under 1. I keep off of major streets with DS in the trailer, and hills are really tough with the trailer, so try to keep to fairly flat areas. As long as you use them properly, they're pretty safe. Once DS got a little older, we upgraded to a bike seat.
    Just FYI, Burley trailers aren't built like they used to be. I've heard nothing but bad things about them from people who have them, and they're now cheaply built. I don't know if you planned to go that route, but I don't recommend it.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:00 AM on Apr. 12, 2011