Should I take my 2 1/2 year old to the ER for a fever of 102.0?

102 is under-arm temp, only other symptom is belly pain (he tells me his belly hurts)

Meredith C.

Asked by Meredith C. at 12:48 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yes, defenitly. there can be so many things that yound ones can catch. i take my two year old to the e.r if its over 98.0. just to be safe, you never know and with kids you can never be to safe.
    TYLERS_MOMMI

Answer by TYLERS_MOMMI at 1:01 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Have you given him meds yet? I don't give meds until 102, so, now is perfect for a little motrin or tylenol.
    Dress him loosely and give him plenty fluids. If his temp goes above 104 or if he becomes lethargic or reallu unlike himself, then, you can call the doc or go to the er if it will make you feel better?

Fever is your sons bodies way of doing it's job. Fever RARELY ever goes high enough to cause brain damage even with NO meds or intervention.

Anything over 101 is fever in a 2 year old. anything over 102 can have meds.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:11 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• depends.... did u try some children's motrin to bring down the fever??? I'd see if that helps. You can also alternate it with tylenol every 4-6 hrs. But throwing up and other symptoms could be a virus that has to run its course. It just depends on the severity of the tummy hurting, etc. and what will ease your mind too.
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 1:11 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Yes, he has had two doses of ibuprofin. He has eaten a few little things, but won't drink any juice or water. He went to sleep extremely fast, and he isn't shaking or anything from the fever. No other symptoms have come up, but am keeping a watchful eye on things tonight. Will check fever every few hours.
    Meredith C.

Comment by Meredith C. (original poster) at 1:15 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• YEs
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 12:43 AM on Apr. 13, 2011