Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump


My son just grabbed a nail polish pen, opened it, and put it in his mouth. He drew a line down his tongue and it's around his mouth a little. I rinsed his mouth with water and am giving him milk now. I don't think he swallowed any and he is acting fine but I am flipping out and very worried! What should I do? I don't have anyway to get to the hospital tonight.


Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • For a poison emergency in the U.S. call 1-800-222-1222

    How well a patient does depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment was received. The faster a patient gets medical help, the better the chance for recovery. Nail polish tends to come in small bottles, so serious poisoning is unlikely if only one bottle was swallowed. However, always seek immediate emergency medical care

    Answer by Lb128f at 1:06 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

  • call poison control. They will be able to tell you what to look for. 1800-222-1222

    Answer by mommy2boys03 at 1:05 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

  • My little guy is 18 months old and two days ago he did the same with a marker. I was worried. But hes fine.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

  • Thank you all so much. I was flipping out too much to even think to call poison control. I called and the lady said that as long as he didn't swallow too much (over a tbsp, she said) he will be fine. She said all that might happen is a little mouth irritation. She said if he swallowed nail polish remover, that it is way more poisonous and then I would need to be worried. But she said it should be fine. I'm so relieved!

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:11 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

  • Poision Controll will tell you waht to do

    Answer by christinahenry at 12:43 AM on Apr. 13, 2011