Self-fullfilling prophecy

My 6 years old daughter's teacher did not like her from the very beginning. My daughter was placed at the lowest track in reading and math. She had tutor that initially enhanced a lot her reading ability as well as math. Yet the teacher REFUSED to adjust. Then this tutor left. My daughter has another tutor but failed to move levels any more. Now I have extreme hard time to motivate her to read, 42 days before the end of the year she actually reads at the level her teacher assigned her. She also have moderate troubles with math and fails to grasp basic ideas, exactly as her teacher expected her. She did SO MUCH better at November. But teacher communicates so low expectations of her that her self esteem gone. Today she cried that she is stupid and no one else as stupid as her. The principal simply states - you do not like it- leave. I read several articles about teacher's behavior and what this one did is simply killing a good student in my daughter...I don't know what to do ;-(.

ganna04

Asked by ganna04 at 1:03 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• this happened to my son in kg, he quit school in the 9th grade...get her away from that teacher NOW...I homeschool my younger ones now
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 1:23 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Bump!
    JoyXtwo

Answer by JoyXtwo at 9:41 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• go to the principal's supervisor.. the super
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:58 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I cannot believe the principal said that. Have you had conferences with the teacher? If it were me, I would sit down with the teacher and the principal and go over your concerns. Let them know your child was doing better and you feel as if the teacher's negative response is squashing your child's progress. I know where I live, I cannot just leave and go somewhere else either. If they are not receptive, I would go over the principal's head.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 2:19 PM on Apr. 12, 2011