How did you decide your child's bedtime?

My daughter is 3, my hubby and I cant seem to agree on her bedtime. He thinks because she is home all time it is not a big deal for her to stay up all night, but I think we need to have a schedule so she will be ready for school and to help with the potty training. We are at odd on if she needs a bed time and if so when. I say 9 pm latest, he says if we have to set one he sees no reason to put her to bed early why not 11pm. Any advice would be great :)

MrsK.Nash

Asked by MrsK.Nash at 1:03 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have a 3 year old.. almost 4. I pretty much play it by ear daily. If hes eating dinner around 6-7 i usually try to lay him down around 9ish so he gets done digesting.. that way he wakes up around 7 or 8.
    bmychallp

Answer by bmychallp at 1:08 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• my 17 month old goes to bed at 10pm and wakes up at 8-9am
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:14 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• i have 3 little girls, all girls are in bed by 8pm.....
    from the minute they were born we have set a schedule, bath/shower 7-7.30pm bed by 8pm its importnant for them as kids they need there sleep and as parents we need our time.

im a stay at home mom, my husband works full time.....as a family we have dinner, after we have games/ story reading etc.
    then kids off to bed, then it just me and my husband its our time together and our time to just relax.

gem05

Answer by gem05 at 2:54 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My 19 month old son is in bed by 8:30 at the latest. We have to get up early (6 am) to get ready for work/sitter's and he needs his sleep. Also, my husband and I appreciate the time to ourselves. To clean, relax, have some hanky-panky before we are both falling asleep, whatever.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 10:44 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My DD goes to bed at 8:00 and that has been her bedtime since we set her schedule at about 7 months old. She is now 2 1/2 and sometimes we push it to 8:30 or so but that is about it unless we are away for the weekend at my parents house or something. Anyway, there are times now that I know she could probably stay up until 9:00 or even times she sings and reads in bed for a while before falling asleep but to be perfectly honest, by the time 8:00 roles around I need a break and some down time. I love her to death but after being with her all day, or being with her all day except for the time I go to work, I need some time to myself to recharge, relax, and maybe even clean up my house a little bit. This seems to work pretty closely with her natural schedule so it works for us. To me, 11:00 is too late for a kid to be up but I guess if they get 12-14 hours or whatever is recommended then it's ok, as long as you can live with it.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:44 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• We put our son to bed anytime from 8-930 and DH doesn't mind letting him stay up late either. I like to read articles and books about parenting tho, so I know that the sleep you get before midnight is the best sleep you get, and I know that he is his best when he goes to bed by 9, so that's what works best for him and us. He can stay up till midnight and still wake up at 7, just like he does when he goes to bed at 8 or 9....so then he's just fussy b/c he didn't get enough sleep.
    armywife227

Answer by armywife227 at 1:53 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• We based our baby's bed time off ours lol and it has worked
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 12:42 AM on Apr. 13, 2011