Husband hates when I call my mom for second opinion

If something happens with our son (if he's running a fever, gotten into something, etc.) and I call my mom and ask for a second opinion about it, my husband gets really pissed for some reason. I've done this since our son was first born. I think my husband feels like his parenting is being insulted but I think he is a great dad It's just my mom has had much more experience than we have and she is a nurse so I just call her to be sure that we're doing the right thing. Am I wrong? Should I stop doing this? Is there anything I can do to make him accept it? It just makes me feel better once I get her opinion.

tiffanynichols

Asked by tiffanynichols at 1:05 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• No, you are right as you need the reassurance . i do think you should have the last word and your husband should not dispute with you when it comes o the health of the children. Do a deal with him , let him have his way on some other issue and tell him you want your way on this one.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 2:47 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Moms know best. That's what shes here for.
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 1:07 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• i don't see anything wrong with that especially the fact she is a nurse. as long as it has nothing to do with your relationship with him.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 1:10 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I dont think its wrong at all, I think its completely normal, I know my sister and I do the same thing. Maybe he feels shut down when he gives his opinion, maybe you need to make sure you validate his view before seeking Mom's advice, you also have to trust each other and learn things yourself along the way together, I guess it also depends how much your doing it, if your constantly doing it for everything that may be why he feels annoyed by it. Have you guys open discussed this at a time when its not actually happening when your minds are clear?
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 1:13 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• mine does too but moms know best and she always makes me feel better because i know she want tell me wrong
    mama2305

Answer by mama2305 at 1:15 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Princess s21, I understand, what she means, it is a bond with sisters and mothers.

MEN, think FACTUAL, not emotional.......They are FROM "MARS"....LOL

Maybe, ask her in private and do not tell him, you called her.
    It is male ego thing ....LOL
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 2:20 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I don't ask her for advice dealing with punishment or anything that I think should just be a parents duty. I've called when my son's been running a fever to like see when I should start worrying and like when he was first born and I was BF, he'd get really bad diarrhea and I knew my husband didn't know anything about BF and she had experienced it before, I would ask her advice. My husband always tells me everything is fine, which is somewhat comforting, but when I'm worried, I just wanna make sure. And I don't think I'm doing it too much because I don't actually even get to talk to my mom that much because of her work schedule and everything. I just don't like arguing with my husband over stuff like this and I really don't want to be insulting his parenting.
    tiffanynichols

Comment by tiffanynichols (original poster) at 1:21 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• There's nothing wrong with getting another opinion especially from your mom who is also a nurse. I would think your husband would be grateful and thankful that you have such a trusted resource.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 5:18 AM on Apr. 12, 2011