Is it bad that i let my two year old ds sleep with me

My husband works night so i get scared at night so my little boy sleeps with me...
I tried puttin him to bed by himself in his own room..he will go to sleep and ill try to go to sleep , but i end up going and getting him...this isnt going to mess him up in the future will it?

momofmonsters27

Asked by momofmonsters27 at 1:12 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is in no way bad. In fact, by being there for him, you are reinforcing that you can be trusted..thereby making him more independent later.
    Many kids the world over slept with their parents from birth. It will not mess them up unless they CANNOT sleep away from you once they are school age, or you see them not leaving your bed come 10 years old. They might have an issue, But, that's rarely ever the case.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:15 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• good u made me feel better...off to snuggle with my baby boy....good nite...lol
    momofmonsters27

Comment by momofmonsters27 (original poster) at 1:16 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I say no! lol. My husband works nights too (EMT/FF) and I have always let my kids crawl into bed with me and sleep. I started doing what you do (going and getting them and putting them in the bed) when they were younger, babies even. Now that they are older (4 and 5) they pretty much stay in thier own beds, unless of course they have a bad dream, or get up to go potty and come in my room and see he is not there and crawl in the bed. (yeah, they do come and see if daddy is home in bed or not). *they can be unsure sometimes because there is days where he leaves for work well after they are already asleep. They do know the difference now though that they do not crawl in bed when Daddy is home, as those are the nights that mom and dad have the bed to just us. So they fuss and pout a bit, but they stay in thier own beds. Then when dad is at work they can come lay with me and watch tv, or read, or sing. :)
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 1:20 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• sorry, yes, it is bad, because you´re not bringing the kid into your bed because HE´s scared, but because YOU are. You´re using him for your own emotional comfort, that could set up a very damaging pattern. The kid sleeps fine in his own bed/room, as you stated. Please seek help for yourself.
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 1:26 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• LOL What!? Seriously? "Please seek help for yourself"?....lol.
    When I would bring my children in at night it was partially because I was scared too OP. BUT it wasn't like I was terrified and was expecting my child to protect me ( as I am willing to bet its not that way with you either). I was scared because it was just my children and I and so therefore I felt a much larger sense to protect my child. As I did not have my husband home. When he is home I view him as the overall protector of our family and so therefore I don't worry so much because I know he is keeping us safe. But with him away, that becomes my duty, and it can be a bit intimidating and scary. Your son it only 2. You have plenty of time to teach him about separation from you in due time when you begin to get a bit more comfortable with the sleeping situation of your husband being out at work at night.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 1:45 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• no i feel safer with him in the bed...he;s smaller so maybe the monsters will go for him first......not really im only joking....I dont want him to get to cold ..or fall out of bed or anything like that...but really I kinda do feel safer with him in there too....i dont know y? its weird
    momofmonsters27

Comment by momofmonsters27 (original poster) at 1:49 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• sleeping with my child is the best feeling in the world. There is no way that loving your kid that much will hurt them. Enjoy mama.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:09 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I know exactly how you feel. My son is 19 months old and he sleeps in the bed with me I don't think there is nothing wrong with it and I don't think it will hurt him in anyway. It would be completely different if he was like 12 or something but he's still your baby. It's completely fine.
    tiffanynichols

Answer by tiffanynichols at 4:29 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I have six kids and I'll be honest... before I had my youngest child, now 22 months, I never let my kids sleep in my bed with me unless they were running fevers, had nightmares, or so on. With the youngest one, I think I went soft LOL Yes, he sleeps with me (husband works 12 hour midnight shifts, 6 days a week) & I think it's very comforting for both him & I :)
    since_3.18.93

Answer by since_3.18.93 at 7:16 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Whatever you are comfortable with... I would not want my 2yo in bed with me, but your business is not mine. It's not going to hurt him.
    MomX3ThatsMe

Answer by MomX3ThatsMe at 7:21 PM on Apr. 12, 2011