Do you ever get

that annoyed parent look when taking your autistic child out in public? Has anyone ever been rude when commenting on it?

sweetangie79

Asked by sweetangie79 at 1:19 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• My son has not been diagnosed yet, but I am pretty sure he is on the spectrum. Anyway, I get dirty looks ALLLLLLLLLLL the time. There is nothing I can do about it, so I just let it slide right off my back.
    LexsMami

Answer by LexsMami at 1:33 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• my oldest...yes and it was before Autism was well known and i would often tell people I wish she has down syndrome because then it would be obvious that she was not the norm.
    my kid was a very cute blonde haired young girl...no clue that she was not normal except the behavior and people would look down on me oh and it didn't help I had her at 17
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I am not a mom with an autistic child, but I just wanted to say that I am nothing but sympathetic for ANY parents trying to deal with their child in public. Like they really need some nosy busybody leaning over their shoulder and giving them the hairy eyeball? I hate it when people do stuff like that!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:21 AM on Apr. 12, 2011