Toothache + no dental insurance = I NEED HELP!! adult content

I've had this re-occuring tooth ache for about three years now. It started when i had some dental work done on my molar farthest back. I had a cavity that the dentist tried unsuccessfully to drill out & he put a big hole in my tooth & didn't fill it. Since then, i lost coverage due to financial difficulties & a shift in priorities (more kids=more money) & my tooth has been severely decaying. That cavity found a new home in that hole the dentist drilled & eroded about half my tooth away and turned it black. I've had painful abcesses on my gums & cheeks in the surrounding areas. The most i've done is put some anbesol on it, but it doesn't help because it's not fixing anything, just making it a little more tolerable. How much would it cost if i paid for this out of my pocket to have it fixed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Health

• Toothaches suck! I'm sorry to hear this. Umm... I'm not sure how much it would cost you if you pay out of pocket but the dentist office I go to takes payment plans. For work that you get done there, you can pay like $20 at a time until you get it paid off. Maybe you should see if you can find a dentist that does that. Good luck!
    tiffanynichols

Answer by tiffanynichols at 1:35 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I know each of my root canals cost over $1000 and that was before the crown. I think an extraction is about $100 and there sounds like no saving the tooth anyway. The dentist might try to talk you into an expensive implant afterwards, but you may not need one or care for it. Infections in your gums are dangerous. It rare, but there have been deaths related to abscessed teeth (infected tissue can break off and go to hour heart) so you need to make this a priority. Once the tooth is pulled, the infections should go away on their own, but some cheap penicillin will help too. Good luck, I know how bad these things can feel, I have terrible teeth (thank God for insurance and a father in law for a dentist)
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 1:37 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Obviously I don't know where you are since you're anon. I'm in Minnesota. At the University of Minnesota since it's a teaching hospital there's a dentist in the ER always. *SOMETIMES* at the county hospital too. It sounds like it has gone from dental to medical. They'll get you antibiotics (make sure you get the $4 generic kind since you'll be paying out of pocket!) and likely some pain meds. If you can do some homework and find an ER w/ a dentist on call, they'll call 'em and pull it on the spot.

Let them bill you and then call the hospital to work out a payment plan....... OR let it goto collections who'll work out an even better payment plan (act fast before it gets reported to the credit bureau)

And while in the ER since you're uninsured they'll require you to apply for medical assistance of some type. I am hoping to god you're smart and already applied and it's either pending or was denied for some reason...
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:54 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• tiffany: did you need a co-signer? was it done thru capitol one or care credit? in this day and age (not to mention economy) I am very surprised to hear a dentist would really accept installment plans of so little for time & work he already performed
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:55 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• You can go to a sliding-fee clinic. The charge will be based off your income.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Google places around your area and call and see how much they are AND if they have help with payment or payment options. Many places do and you can pay a little bit each month to cover it. I know it's probably still more than you would hope for but it's got to be better than having a tooth ache!
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 2:23 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• check and see if there are dental colleges around as well. Sometimes you will work with you for really cheap. It's like the senior's doing the work while the teachers watch over them.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 2:24 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I don't have an answer about who or where to go, but maybe this can help in the meantime. My husband has been dealing with tooth pain and abscesses and what we've done is get some Goldenseal and Myrrh, at a health food store, mix a little together half and half, and put it on the sore spot. I put the mixture in a tea bag, wet it then stick it in the microwave for a couple seconds. It's amazing how it has taken away the pain and helped the swelling to go down. I am not a health nut by any means, but my sister has always done the natural healing/doctoring for her family and this is a tried and true solution. Hope it helps.

JeannieBee

Answer by JeannieBee at 2:29 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• if you have lumps that's actually life threatening.... a dental college will be a waste of your time. and they'll need xrays, which they charge retail for. and if/when they see any sign of infection they'll boot you out on your butt.

you need it pulled. fast and easy and some antibiotics and probably a few days of percocet

"call around" here and there and waste precious time but remember, your brain is very near your teeth and that's where the infection will spread. people die from this. it's not just a toothache, it's a piece of rotting material in your mouth.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:47 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• jeannie : he's been dealing with abscesses? as in more than 1 abscess? ..... do you know what an abscess is? It's a collection of pus. That tea mixture may temporarily relieve the inflammation but it lacks magical powers, it doesn't make the pus disappear! It simply recedes temporarily becoming more bacteria filled and increasing the risk of him going septic. Tea.... for pus.... I need to leave the internet and join a convent. This is too much for me to handle..... people scare me....
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:54 AM on Apr. 12, 2011