I have a right to be upset....right?

my so called friend has her step daughter and her step grandbaby living with her and her husband... since this daughter is a teen mom I thought i would collect a bunch of baby coupons and mail them to her, my so called friend.

I have talked to her since then but she has yet to say anything about all the coupons. just like when she got married I gave her a free standing mixer as a gift... they are not cheap. Never got a Thank you for it and a verbal Thank you would have been good enough for me but not even that.
I guess I am just to the point of giving up and I am thinking if I can't have that one good friend then why bother with having any.

alotleft2do

Asked by alotleft2do at 2:18 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• If you receive a gift from someone you mean to tell me that you don't need to send a thank you card or call them and say thank you...of course you do. Soupons would be the same thing. You took the time to look through and cut them out for your friends daughter. You didnt need to do that, but you did out of the kindness of your heart. She should have given you a phone call to say thank you. I have a friend like that too. She was in my wedding, told me her fiance would be there then last minute he didnt show up I paid for him to be there and I never got a wedding present from her. A few years later I was in her wedding and I spent hundreds on her plus I gave her a few wedding presents and I never got a thank you card. I was so pissed off but I did just drop it. It isnt something that I would let ruin our friendshit. I just know that she is that type of person who doesn't give thank yous out.
    Mom1127-0125

Answer by Mom1127-0125 at 11:15 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I disagree with LeJane. Of course you should give because it's nice and you want to. Not because you expect something in return (material wise). But a word of appreciation is the least a person can do. It's called common courtesy.

BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 2:57 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I agree that you shouldn't want anything in return, but it's common courtesy to say thank you.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 3:30 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• i think it takes the niceness out of doing things for people when you expect a thank you. I got a bunch of clothes from a family member for my daughter when she was born and both me and my boyfriend at the time said thank you to both her and her husband and for some reason they thought we never said thank you...but we both did! I don't know where the mix up was but she talked about it behind our backs for so long. It just made me think of how silly it is to do something nice for someone when you WANT something in return. Maybe ask if she got them?
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 2:22 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• A gift should be given freely. I honestly don't feel you have the "right" to be upset given these circumstances. If it bothers you, talk to her about it. If you don't give her the chance to make it right, then she could turn around and say that you were her "so-called" friend.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 2:39 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I was raised to have good manners and thank yous are a part of that. Before ditching the friendship though I would discuss the feelings of being slighted first instead of just pitching the baby out with the bathwater so to speak.. I am sure she will understand your feelings if you bring it up calmly. Good luck.
    danni1982

Answer by danni1982 at 3:08 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• It is a common courtesy to say thank you. But, I don't think you should end a friendship over coupons...Just ask if she got them. Maybe she gave them to her SD and told her to tell you thank you and thought she did or something.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 3:46 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• well in all fairness we have been friends for 30 yrs and well this has gone on for decades .. I only gave a few examples of her rudeness and yes it is important to thank people for their kindness
    alotleft2do

Comment by alotleft2do (original poster) at 3:53 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• It's just one of the many common courtesy and manners that have gone by the wayside. It takes a second to say thank you, and your friend should have acknowledged the coupons you sent. We don't give gifts hoping to get something in return, but a thank you is expected and I think its rude for people not to say thank you, JMHO
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:56 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Don't give up on friendships, they do make a huge difference in the quality of our lives.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:57 AM on Apr. 12, 2011