How would you handle this?... kinda long

My DH's cousin lives in NC and we live in SC. We went to visit his family and stayed with her at her place. My husband owed her around $500 for some tickets he racked up a while back that she helped him out with. So, she's always bragging about how much her husband makes and how well off they are but she wouldn't leave him along about the money, which I understand. She was telling him how she really needed the money because they were broke and she made him feel bad for her. So once she gets her money, she just goes and blows ALL of it right in front of us. She even ordered some FANGS offline (she's in her mid thirties!). Now thats fine, it's her own money and I don't care what she does with it no matter how stupid. But lately, she's called my husband and she's giving him the same sob story about how she has no money. Yet, I know she has more money than we do, she just knows she can make my husband feel sorry for her and get what she wants. Well, shortly after the call about how broke she is she posts pics on FB of her going to a concert and getting her nails done and lots of other non-necessity things. I just think she is trying to use us when my husband doesn't make the money her's does and we have a child and one on the way and need the little bit of money that we do have. It really pisses me off when she calls and tries to bum money from us. Am I wrong for this? How do I make my husband see what she's doing? How do I handle this without getting very rude with her?

tiffanynichols

Asked by tiffanynichols at 3:42 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• Explain to your husband that you guys are the ones that need i the most. Tell him how she blows the money as quickly as she gets it. And I owuld tell her that she has a husband ask him for money because you guys can afford to give her money with you having a child and one on the way. I would make that clear but not in a hateful kinda way. If your husband wont listen then why dont he call her husband and ask him why she keeps calling wanting money.
    shelle21

Answer by shelle21 at 8:56 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• so give her $10,00 a week to pay it off , and make sure write it down in book just in case she comes back say's you did'nt pay her
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 3:47 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Simply tell her "We have a family to provide for. Sorry, we have no extra money to loan you."

Yes, he borrowed from her, but he paid her back. Just because he was able to pay her back doesn't mean that he has money to just hand off to relatives.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 3:58 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Just tell her you're broke too and can't afford to give her any more money. Do you have a budget set up or a spending plan to get what you need for the baby and your older child? If you don't you can put one together and show him that you can't afford to give to her without giving up certain things. That might snap him into reality.. I don't think you are wrong for being upset about it at all.. I wouldn't be very happy about it either!
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 4:00 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Just say no. If you feel you also need to provide a reason or explanation tell her you have no extra money for anything, sorry.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:31 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• He already paid her all of the money he owed her. Now, she is just asking for money. We don't owe her anything anymore.
    tiffanynichols

Comment by tiffanynichols (original poster) at 3:50 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• if you guys already paid your debt to her then there shouldn't be an issue. if she continues to come to your husband about being broke, tell her so are you. can't lend money out since you guys are expecting a baby.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 2:29 PM on Apr. 12, 2011