Is it possible to have a normal painless pregnancy with herniated discs and other back problems?

I have two bulging discs and a herniated disc, I am trying every possible treatment before I opt for surgery that was recommended 8 years ago. I recently started treatments with a chiropractor who believes in holistic treatment and it has helped tremendously, however, I still have those "bad" days. I have 2 wonderful, healthy children, but when my fiancée and I want to have a baby after we get married. We have major concerns as to how my back issues may affect every aspect of a pregnancy, let alone, the years to follow. If anyone can share their experience with any similar back troubles, I would be eternally grateful, as I am terrified of surgery and the recuperation time thereafter.

natmadsma

Asked by natmadsma at 3:49 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I have 5 herniated discs...Been pregnant 3 times after the car accident that gave them to me (thanks to a stupid drunk driver 5.5 years ago)...Because of the placement of my herniated discs, I couldn't get an epidural. I was able to get IV meds, but they didn't help during labor/delivery. During the actual pregnancy, I usually had to take it easy, because I was often in pain. I even got put on bedrest with each of my pregnancies (between my back and some heart issues). There are some meds that a doctor can give you, but they may not help if it's really bad. I would opt for the surgery if you plan to have another child. Your back is only going to get worse over time.

PM me if you want to talk!
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 3:56 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I don't have that bad of a back. Just pain from being top heavy and bad posture. I'm 36 weeks pregnant now and cannot stand for more than 10 minutes without being in agony. I can't imagine having the back problems you do and not having pain. Yes a chiropractor could probably help you. But being pregnant with those back pain issues is going to be hard.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:43 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I have degenerative disc disease and had an epidermal with my last one and did not fel anything. good luck
    CandySarasmom

Answer by CandySarasmom at 8:20 AM on Apr. 12, 2011