Would I lose weight if I . . .

Cut out carbs? I've been healthy eating for a few weeks and doing light excercise with no real results, if I cut out carbs will I get results?

kylie_bob

Asked by kylie_bob at 5:17 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I was told in High school and it stands true for me today, your body needs about 1200 calories a day just to breath and survive. If you eat less than that, you'll lose weight. Or if your exercising, your body will burn more than 1200 calories.

That statement is incorrect. Everyone has a different caloric need to function. It is called the BMR or basal metabolic rate and it is the number of calories your body needs to function properly daily and be inactive. Some people's BMR is 1257 ( mine) and some people have a BMR of 1800. It depends on your age, height, and weight..you do NOT eat less than your BMR. Ever. This will put you into starvation mode. You use the Harris Benedict Formula for exercise to calculate your maintenance calories and then subtract 500 from that for loss calories.
    PM me your age, height, weight and workout schedule and I'll do the math for you.
    Just remember, if you cut out carbs, you have to be carefu
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 6:58 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Ask yourself this, how many carbs are you eating? If your main diet consists of carbs, Then I would say yes. But substatuting your carbs with lean protein or fresh foods. I was told in High school and it stands true for me today, your body needs about 1200 calories a day just to breath and survive. If you eat less than that, you'll lose weight. Or if your exercising, your body will burn more than 1200 calories.
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 5:38 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Carbs are essential for our bodies to perform. You need them. Just make sure they are in the right form- fruits and veggies and also whole grains.
    Also, when you cut out a certain food to lose weight and you go back to eating that food, you will gain that weight back.

You could be eating too much, you could be eating too little...if I do your BMR, maintenance and loss, maybe I can help you a bit more...
    Come check out the Healthy Weight Loss group! It is full of tips and encouragement.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 7:01 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• In the short term, probably. However, can you keep that up forever? Consider something more permanent, like switching to whole grains and sticking to proper portion sizes.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:24 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I think you might lose some weight if you limited carbs and increased your exercise level.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 5:22 AM on Apr. 12, 2011