Probably a stupid question.

Ok, I haven't taken a birthing class yet, but I've read a ton and none of the books seem to address this. How do you know how dilated you are?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• the OB can only tell you.
    Anonymous

• The doctor will tell you at your check up. They usually begin checking around 7 mos or so
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 12:53 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• your ob will check you and tell you. you wont know and you cant check yourself.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 12:54 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Your doctor will tell you =] If you've had a totally normal pregnancy, they usually don't start checking until 34-36 weeks. I'm 37 weeks and I'm just going in for my first dilating check tomorrow, lol. If you've had some issues during your pregnancy, they might start checking earlier.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:56 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Please DO NOT attempt to check this one one your own. If you are dilating you will be told during your normal visits.

If you are having contractions and aren't sure if they are Braxton Hicks or not, go ahead and call the OB. You are paying them plenty to answer any questions and most will have you come in to do a check just to reassure you.

Good luck!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:16 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• The dr, or nurse check with their fingers. Different ppl with different size fingers may tell you different measures. Some dr don't do it very often because it causes more and more germs to be introduced to the cervix.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 1:47 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• i never got checked it see if i was dialated, only when i was a week late, with both my boys did they check.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 3:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2008