Tangles!

How do you get knots and tangles out of your DD hair? We have so many tears and struggles whenever I try brushing her hair. I feel bad for her but swear I'm as gentle as possible. She wakes with shocking bed hair everyday.

Any advice? Thanks in advance mommies.

gypsyche

Asked by gypsyche at 5:44 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• At night braid her hair and you'll have less tangles. Products like no more tangles normally help or even use a spray bottle with water helps a bit. Go slow and hold the tangle above it and just use short slow strokes with the brush or comb to get them out.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:48 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Conditioner, and always start combing from the bottom :)
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 5:50 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I just hold little bits of hair at a time, and start undoing the knot from the bottom up. Also, making sure to brush the hair before bed can sometimes help.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 7:19 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I use conditioner when I give her a bath and then spray in detangler when I brush her hair.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 7:35 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I agree with all the pps. I use conditioner with my girls and brush it out before bed. A detangler spray helps if it's knotty when you go to brush it out.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:19 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• With my daughter we use the Garnier Fructis leave in conditioner. We put it in after she gets out of the shower and brush it through that night, using an "ouchless" brush (it's by Goody - lifesaver!). It's thicker than a spray and IMO works much better.

Answer by missanc at 9:42 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• We had that problem with my daughter's hair but like others have said, using conditioner helps a lot! We also dried her hair - going to bed with it still damp always meant more tangles than going to bed with completely dry hair. If it was really bad in the morning, I'd spray on some leave-in conditioner or detangler and then work slowly with one section at a time. A pick instead of a brush sometimes helped.

In the end, though, she opted to get her hair cut into a chin length bob. ;) Not for everyone but it works for DD.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:12 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• We use the no more tangles shampoo by Johnson and Johnson (it's green). We also make sure to braid her hair for bed...
    karischub

Answer by karischub at 7:31 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• HA - at 45 I STILL have hair like that! It is so thick and I have to wash it at night and put a braid in or pin it up and still get a few tangles but not as bad. conditioning helps but doesn't alleviate
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 2:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2011