Breastfeeding, when will it get easier?!?

I'm currently breastfeeding my one week old son, and I'm going to be honest. I'm not enjoying it at all. I'm hurting, I'm exhausted, and I feel so alone in this. My first child was bottle fed, and my husband was able to help out with night feedings and such, so I retained my sanity pretty well. Right now, I'm losing my mind. When he nurses I get this skin crawling, almost angry feeling and I just want him off of me. I fidget and feel really stressed. I don't want to give up, because aside from the issues I'm having everything else is going well (weight gain, etc..) I'm going to keep it up because I know this is what is best for my son, but when I can I look forward to enjoying this? Will it ever get easier?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:28 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I went through the same thing, I had to stay in hospital for about a week after becuase I was having so much trouble. I almost gave up! But I promise you, it does get better!

And no one is forcing you, I know NOTHING is better than breast milk, but if your finding it that tough, and and getting so down, you could go onto formula, your baby has had a week of anti bodies and goodness so stop beating yourself up :)

Otherwise get good nipple cream, use it after every feed! And use warm flannels to soothe.

It does get better, I stopped feeding after 5weeks becuase baby was still hungry after every feed, I was devastated! I hated breast feeding to start but I ended up loving it :) There are help & support groups for you, ask your health visitor :)

Good luck!
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 6:36 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Have you talked to your doctor? Perhaps you have a mild case of PPD.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:37 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• It's not PPD, I'm sure.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:40 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• What's happening is completely normal, and you are not alone in your feelings :) Our daughter is 3 mo and just now is it like 2nd nature, she can probably do it hanging upside down from a tree lol and you two will get there! I was in a lot of pain about the entire first month, cracked nipples, bleeding, all that good stuff, I would nurse in tears b/c it hurt so bad. As for sleep, yes that's rough. I was able to stay home for 6 weeks w/her, but still exhausted. People say sleep when baby sleeps, but as soon as she'd fall asleep I'd run to laundry, or dishes and by the time I was ready to sit down she was up and ready to eat again! I used the lanolin for the cracking, but it only helped so much, and just air dry after she was done nursing. But GL, and it does get better :)
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 7:41 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I felt alone too. I didnt feel the skin crawling thing you described. But I did feel all by myself for a few weeks.

At first my dd was waking every 1.5 to 2 hours to nurse. I was exhausted but slowly she began to sleep longer. she is now 10 weeks and slept 7 hours strait last night!!!

So just try to remember that its only for a few weeks and WILL GO BACK TO NORMAL. Or get better anyways. Its hard to remember that during the middle of it all.

The hurting gets better too! Mine lasted extra long this time around too. About 4 weeks at least before it felt better.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:55 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I bf for 20mo....
    The first 1-2mo was "hard".. I always thought "just 1 more week" and by the weekend I noticed a positive change during our breastfeeding. Slowly latching was easier. That "this skin contact is driving me nuts" feeling went away. The "is she getting enough?" started to go away. My nipples started to "toughen up" and wasnt so painful. And one day i sat down to nurse her. she happily nursed with a breeze & in about 10min I was SO OVERJOYED! I wanted to highfive my baby & cheer for us! It was an amazing feeling!

And just remember there will be times she wants to constantly nurse. dont get stressed. it means she is going thru a growth spurt & is telling your breast to produce more-- and it will.. just give it a chance! :) ... Nursing is a "on demand".. your baby needs more. baby tells boobs to make more & boobs will up productivity. :-)

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:23 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• also for the first week or 2 i would let dh give baby 1oz. of formula every few days.
    It gave me a small break (usually at night) but isnt enough to hurt our breastfeeding at all.

Best of luck! you can do it! just keep it up. The day WILL come that it will be easier! :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:26 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I know exactly what you are going through! My daughter did so well in the hospital and then once I got home it was like she forgot everything. I called the lactation consultant when she was about a week old and I was in tears. I couldn't get her to latch on right and I was getting sores on my nipples. My mom told me to give it a few months before I gave up. I was like "A few months, are you kidding me!" I had so many problems. I had overactive let down, so my milk would come gushing out and practically drown my daughter &that made her not want to eat. Plus for some reason she hated the right side. I started using nipple shields, which helped. Some lactation consultants frown on them, but if they help you to stay breastfeeding they are worth it. They are kind of a pain though because the milk leaks out the bottom of them and soaks your bra and shirt. After 10 weeks it got easier, and she 5 months now and going strong. Good Luck
    08MrsAllen

Answer by 08MrsAllen at 1:18 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• It will get easier. Hang in there. My baby girl is a month old today and it is easier than it was the first week or 2. After awhile you and your baby will become more comfortable and will have a better idea of what to do. It will become second nature for both of you. I struggled to nurse my son when he was a baby, but I pushed through. My husband was very supportive and that helped me keep going. I was able to nurse my son for 6 months. With this baby, things are easier than they were with him, but there are still times when it's tough. If nursing really gets to be too much, you could pump and give your baby breastmilk that way. You might consider doing that for 1 feeding, just to give yourself a break. Things will get easier, good luck.
    Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 3:47 PM on Apr. 12, 2011