What did you give up for having kid(s)?

I love my little man, but sometimes ... just sometimes ... I can't wait for him to be grown up and independent. I so long for less responsibility and lots and lots of me-time. That sounds really egoistic, but I put everything aside for him and my hubby and it feels like there's no me anymore. Sound familiar?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:31 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• I gave up me time, sanity, money, and a career (our children's issues make it impossible for both of us to work).
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:23 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Used to be that way but then I realized I had to make me time, it is really unhealthy not to. You get burnt out. Try and take some time for yourself even if it is just 20 minutes a day. When the kids were babies I would go to the tanning bed everyday and that was my me time, and their dad would watch them. Now 2 of my kids are adults, one is getting ready to go to college, and Ill only have 2 home. I kinda long for the baby days.

Answer by gemgem at 7:10 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I gave up partying (gladly), many, many friends, my career, more than half our yearly income, and ALL me time. Some of it I miss, some I don't but I wouldn't change a thing!
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 7:50 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• i gave up taking random drives to places. thats the only thing i really miss.
    used to be like "hey you wanna go to seattle for a little bit?" "sure!"

but its not that bad, now i can plan things out better, rather than jumping in the car and going.
    Gidgetsafreaq

Answer by Gidgetsafreaq at 7:56 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I refused to give up me time. I live and breath for my DD, but I do need some me time to be able to remain sane. Of course, you need to define me time. My DD2 is at a stage now that I can sit in the same room with her and she can play on a own for a few minutes while I read a book, or crochet, or sew. That is my me time. It makes me relax and feel more fulfillment by making something. Most things are for her, but I'm making them.
    I did give up some things. I don't have time or money to go to martial arts class anymore, even though I was on track to become a black belt. My DH and I don't have much us time, we have to work at it a lot more and get a babysitter. I can't work 50 hour weeks anymore, so work is jut a work and I'm there for a specific amount of time.
    I cant complain though. She adds so much to my life that it is all worth it, even when she drive me nuts.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 8:10 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I gave up me. Completely.

**For DD, I would do it again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I chose t marry a soldier and have 5 wonderful kids, and don't regret giving up me i still get my nails done, get dressed every morning, get my hair done, and, go yard saling / shopping alone on Saturdays! I also have maintained having a spotless home, 5 smart and healthy kids, and a phenomenal marriage! You have to find time to love yourself! Then you will love being a mom! GOOD LUCK!sexy

JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:46 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I used to be that way then I realized it wasn't healthy or fair. My husband sure didn't give up his entire self and identity for me and the kids so why should I. Of course, it wasn't as easy said as done when I had 3 kids under 3. But I encouraged independence from the start which made things easier. And carries over a long way. They are 10, 9 and 8 now and I also have a 5yo and 9mo. The older kids volunteer to watch the baby all the time. I get to sleep in on weekends and if they see I'm stressed they tell me to go lie down and they'll babysit. It's nice. I'm glad I taught them young to be independent and self-reliant.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:18 AM on Apr. 12, 2011