Did you actually wear your own nightgown in the hospital?

Ok, this might be silly, but how many of you actually wore your own nightgown while in the hospital? Don't they make you wear one of theirs? Do you actually give birth in your own nightgown or just wear it afterward? Can you just wear regular lounge-type clothes or do you actually need a nightgown?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I asked this question during my maternity tour...and they said that you had to wear the hospital gown while in labor because it was easier for the doctors and nurses to attend to you. You can wear another gown backwards to cover your butt if you choose. After labor, as long as everything is going good recovery-wise, you can wear whatever you want, pants or nightgown or robe, whatever's comfortable. Every hospital's policy is different though =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:00 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I did. Make sure with your hospital that it's ok or if they allow it for certain people like those who don't have c-section or whatever before you commit to packing it.
    Geminus

Answer by Geminus at 1:00 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I wore my own night gown. The hospital didn't like it and gave me the lecture about if they needed to cut it for some reason...I told them I was ok with that. I wanted to be comfy and look half way decent for pictures....and I was! I say, bring your own night gown and tell them YOU ARE WEARING IT!!! lol good luck momma!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 1:00 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Yes, I wore my own after the first day. After birth you bleed and things are messy so I wanted to keep my gown clean as much as possible. So after the first 24hrs I was able to get up and get a shower and get into my own gown. I worked on an Postpartum floor and pretty much all the moms brought their own night wear.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 1:01 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• NO! You got 9 millon things coming out of every orfice of your body...yuck, mess up there gowns! Not your own pjs!!
    Anonymous

• I wore my own clothes after I gave birth and was cleaned up. I wanted to feel clean and comfy and smell something from home. But I didn't want to deal with cleaning up blood stains and junk like that.
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 1:13 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• the hospital here makes you were theres untill baby is born and as long as things are going well you can were your own. I wouldnt want to labor and deliver in one of my own but i didnt were my own after baby was born.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 1:19 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Yeah I packed a lounge outfit with easy boob access for the hospital room. You should give birth in a gown though, due to medical issues and just flat out grossness. You'll want to shower as soon as you are able and put on something fresh and pretty.
    Remember to make sure it fit you when you were 6-7 months prego. .
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:20 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Afterwards I wore a nightgown of my own that buttoned all the way down the front. It was helpful - much easier to breastfeed! Plus I ended up having a C-section, so it was more comfy not to wear pants (and they could check my incision easier)
    gypsysmiles

Answer by gypsysmiles at 1:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• You can wear whatever you like... The staff might give you heck, but its your delivery. Both of my vaginal births I left the next day so I wore their gown. But for my c-section I was there for 5 days after I was ok'd for my 1st shower I wore my own clothes to stay comfy...
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 1:45 PM on Dec. 1, 2008