WHY DOES EVERYONE ASSUME THAT IF YOU 'SPANK' YOUR KIDS YOU HIT THEM WHEN YOU ARE ANGRY????!!!!

I am SO sick of reading this!!! I discipline my kids. I do not hit them. I do not do it when I am angry. THAT is not discipline. By disciplining you are teaching/training your children right from wrong. I absolutely will not, have not and won't ever do this in anger! It is not the right way to train your child(ren)!

Babylove76

Asked by Babylove76 at 12:58 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in General Parenting

• I agree with the poster! I don't understand why people see spanking as abuse when it is disipline! I got spanked! I wasn't scarred for life! I just learned not to spit on my brother! Some parents are just pussies now-a-days which is why there are so damn many of them on those nanny shows!
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 5:33 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• i was wondering that to babylove i spank my kids when they need it im not beating them if you dont then they will walk all over you
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 1:00 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Thanks Wendy - it just gets so damn irritating! Makes me want to spank some of these mom's on here....in ANGER!! lol

But then maybe they'd like it! :)
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 1:02 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• lol you never know and your welcome
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 1:04 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I don't understand that either. While yes there are mothers and fathers who hit their kids in anger I would never call that an attempt at discipline , I'd call that abuse. Now spanking your child under a rational mind set where you can control how hard and how many times you spank them is considered discipline. For those mothers out there who state because you spank you beat your kids in anger are speaking out of ignorance.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 1:04 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Thanks bubblycute, I guess, I am a little sensitive about it b/c I was beaten as a kid by my parents. I vowed I would never ever subject my children to that torture so I researched good discipline and proper techniques. I then had another mother who disciplined her kids the right way teach me how to do it. In all honesty, kids should be disciplined BEFORE you get to the point that you are angry!! That's what has me baffled! Why do parents let it go on and on and get to the point of being angry before THEY get off their butt and DO something about it?
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 1:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• The ones that bitch the most are the ones that don't discipline their kids at all, it's their kids that are throwing a screaming hissy fit in the middle of the store while mom just goes on with her shopping and can't understand why everyone around her is getting a migrane.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 1:29 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Well as a former child that got the belt I can see how some may take issue with corporal punishment. Many times...most times it is done in anger and frustration on the parents part. I do not bash those that choose to spank if done for discipline but as a child who endured a belt and had black and blue marks on me...I just cannot bring myself to hit my kids not even a swat on the butt. I would never bash you for spanking...just wanted to give you another side of the issue to consider. Hugs!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:59 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• i was beat when i was a kid by my moms ex husband i will never beat my kids but i do spank them when they need it
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 3:01 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• i spank, but i dont beat, or hit out of anger. i spank because nothing else works.and my sanity is important, if the family is gonna make it.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 3:21 PM on Dec. 1, 2008