How do you feel about others discipline your children right in front of you? Family members or stangers

If a person sees a child acting up right in front of the parent, and the parent can't seems to control their child, so someone else controls them for you w/o permission, how would that make you feel?

Zursery

Asked by Zursery at 7:13 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• When we were little we would get disciplined by family members or family friends or at church. If we needed to be corrected then it would happen. If it was right in front of me then I feel they should ask me permission but if it happens and its not in fornt of me then yes tell my child they are wrong. Thats whats wrong with some parents, they dont want other adults to put their child in their place. Its all about respect. Kids now days are out of control and then if another adult tells them off then the parents want to jump on the adult instead of disciplining their own child. I know some will disagree but I am old school. we were afraid to even talk crazy around another adult.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 8:20 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• certain family memebers it wouldnt bother me but others let alone a complete stranger ??? WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE disciplining MY child....thats asking for me to go off
    Mommy31107

Answer by Mommy31107 at 7:43 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• It pisses me off. I had it happen last night at softball practice. My son was not acting up, he was running around the field (softball field along with about 20 other kids) and they were climbing a fence, again pretty normal. This bitch of a woman singled out MY son and told him to stop. She saw me. I said "Excuse me? Did you just correct my child knowing I was sitting right here?". She didnt say anything, pretended I wasnt there. I said "I said EXCUSE ME? Next time you feel the need to correct MY child and see me here I suggest you take it up with me and not him. I am his mother, not you". I went to the softball director and told her I was very offended by this asst coach and would appreciate if she would talk to her about what is appropriate and what was not.

Answer by gemgem at 7:18 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I would go off on them. NO ONE has a right over a parent to discipline their child. If someone doesn't think we are being effective, too bad.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 7:21 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I get a little grumpy (granted it was with my little siblings as I don't have kids yet), and the one time that I did it to someone else I immediently apologized, I was just so used to correcting her because I babysat the kid and I wasn't used to having the mom around. Turns out the mom didn't mind it because she had been at her wits end with how to get L to eat, she's not a picky eater she just doesn't eat.
    AimBre

Answer by AimBre at 7:38 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• A stranger has never tried to correct mine... and if they did, they certainly wouldn't do it again.
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 7:43 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I suppose it depends. My sister in law has 2 children. They grew up with almost no discipline until she remarried. It used to make me uncomfortable to sit there and watch them abuse their mother. So I would "discipline" them, telling them that that was no way to treat their mom and to apologize. They used to listen to me more than they listened to their own mother, which is kinda normal as well. Children tend to behave better with other people than with their moms.
    As for other children, I really do think it depends on the situation. If you are as a parent have no control over your children, and they are putting my child at risk, I will put a stop to it. If at a playground I see that a mom is staring right at her son, who is about to knock over my daughter, and it's not the first time that he's done so, and she is not doing anything about it, I will. She can get as pissed off at me as she wants, but noone threatens my child.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 7:51 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• It's too bad so many strangers feel the need to do what the parent ought to be doing..
    Lorithehun

Answer by Lorithehun at 7:52 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Another instance is when the child's behavior is affecting me personally. If I'm trying to have a conversation with the mom, or someone else, and the child is interrupting us and being loud and preventing us from having our conversation, and the child is old enough to know better, my instinct really is to tell him to stop and wait his turn to speak. The adults are talking and you have to be quiet.

I suppose that is how I was raised. Where I grew up, it really took a village to raise a kid. I have to say that I usually encounter more people that are grateful for the help, more than pissed off.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 7:53 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• If the person wants my foot up their ass they are more than welcome to discipline my child for me. Otherwise, you turn around and say "hey your child is doing xyz and I would appreciate if you said something because..........."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on Apr. 12, 2011