What food i can start for my baby after 6 months ? Pls. help

my baby is 6 months old now. iam confused about her food. now i am giving her formula only. i want to start her some solid food. what type of food i can start?

silriva

Asked by silriva at 7:38 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You introduce one food at a time and give it for 4 days. That way if she has a reaction, you know what caused it. Pick one - say sweet potatoes, 4 days. If she is fine, pick another to add to the sweet potatoes, like applesauce. Start with stage 1 foods.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:41 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• you should consult your doctor, but here is what my dd had.
    rice cereal in the formula, she didn't like it on it's own.
    whole milk yogurt (yo baby is a good brand)
    gerber stage 1 foods (start with the veggies, or so my mom says)

Once she had mastered eating from a spoon, I used to mix different kinds of baby cereal into her yogurt, and that's what she would have for breakfasts, along with her formula.

in short, start with baby cereal, mixed in with some whole milk or formula. Make it runny so she can get used to easting from a spoon.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 7:41 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• As the pp's have said, start with easily digested foods...fruits (pears, bananas, apples) and vegetables (sweet potato, peas, carrots) and cereal. Start with small amounts and one at a time. I strongly suggest that you invest in a grinder and make your own baby food. It tastes better and will be far more cost effective in the long term.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 7:56 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Avocado is an excellent starter food. Along with bananas and baked sweet potatoes.

http://themominformed.blogspot.com/2011/04/what-baby-led-solids-is-and-isnt.html

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:01 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I would consult your doctor and see what they recommend
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:43 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I wouldn't ask the doctor, they push rice cereal. Which by the way is garbage in a box. It is far better to cook whole grain brown rice and mash it up a little than give that highly processed mush.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:56 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I have heard not to start them on fruits first because they are sweet and then they won't want anything else, I don't have any experience with that yet as my daughter won't be starting solids for another 2 weeks. She has been eating rice cereal for about a month now though. I don't think it is "garbage in a box" either. It's a good way to help teach young infants to take food from a spoon and you can make it a little thick so they get used to something other than liquid, in my humble opinion anyway. My pediatrician told us that we can give her anything after 6 months other than raw meat (duh), honey (until 2) and unpasteurized dairy (duh again). Also you should follow the 4 day rule, which means that you should only introduce one new food every 4 days so that if they are allergic to something, you know what they are reacting to. You can still feed them other food they have already been introduced to in the introduction period.
    08MrsAllen

Answer by 08MrsAllen at 12:55 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• WE GAVE HIM CARROT THE FIRST TIME AND HE LOVED IT. HE WAS 5 1/2 MONTHS OLD.
    definitly try to go the most natural possible, and wait a couple days in between new foods. try to give him all organic, and if you can cook yourself and grind it, its really cool. avocado is good, banana is good, but my baby doesnt like it. He loves squash. Dont let other people or the doctor stress you, you go with your feeling, you know your baby best !
    kokomaman

Answer by kokomaman at 9:53 PM on Apr. 12, 2011