Why is it impossible for some to believe in the idea of mythical creatures and not a deity?

Think about it, I am spinning off my fairy question and wanted to know the real reason some find it hard to believe in the "idea" note I said "idea" not saying it is true or not that these types of things could or have existed. Is it so far fetched yet you can believe in a deity that you have never seen and have no proof of? Just curious. Debate away.

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 7:58 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Religious Debate

• well personally, i dont believe in things like fairies b/c ive never felt any spiritual connection to them. ive never experienced anything in my life that makes me believe they are real, but i do have that connection w/ God. and while i dont believe in fairies i dont see any point in telling others that they dont exist just b/c i dont believe in them...wheres the point in that? if i want others to respect my proof-less beliefs than i need to respect their proof-less beliefs.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:43 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Well, I don't believe in any of it, though it makes great, very imaginative stories IMO. I don't believe in supernatural or that anything supernatural could even exist actually. To me--if it exists, it's natural. I believe everything has natural explanations, even if we don't understand it yet.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:38 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I can understand how others believe in mythical creatures even if I do not myself believe in them- just like I feel like others should be able to understand that I believe in God even if they do not-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:22 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Since all religious deities ARE mythological creations- they are one and the same in my mind. Show me hard core, undeniable 100% scientific evidence for a fairy and I'd HAVE to believe, and that goes for god as well.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:44 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• The answer is probably because those who believe in a deity usually have a holy book that they use as a guide. If that holy book simply doesn't say that there are other supernatural creatures, they might believe that some exist, but if the holy book states clearly that there are no supernatural deities except for the one or ones that are listed in the book, they are likely to believe that. In other words, people will believe what they've been told to believe if it's part of their traditions and written in an ancient book (or sometimes not so ancient--like the books by L.Ron Hubbard that inspired the newer religion of Scientology).

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 8:59 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Because many "creatures" don't fit in to their religions definition of creation. They are generally told from birth that merfolk, fay, ghosts & witches are all "just pretend" and they never look further than what they are told. You've heard the "you can't see fairies unless you believe in them" stuff, right? Well, it's PARTLY true. Fairies are nature spirit creatures, they are all around us, but they stay hidden because we have set ourselves so apart from nature. Those that believe in nature spirits tend to be the ones who are out in the woods planting new trees - they make an effort (not always) to be closer to nature than the average person does. So, they have a better chance in seeing them OR they have a better chance in seeing them and knowing what they are looking at...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:16 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Simply put, When people are raised from little up or when they choose to follow a belief system which says the only good energy is that which GOD puts out, they tend to simply credit him with the good that these other "creatures" do. If you teach someone from birth on that this is this and that is that and that these things are pure fiction and God is fact... That is what they will usually believe. And since the majority of Abrahamic Religions would NEVER credit the fay, or any other nature spirit or "mythical creature" with anything beyond being a demon (which is an explanation I have heard many times) the people who follow those paths are either not going to believe or will believe that "IF they are there, they are demons in disguise" which is what we were always told.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:22 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I guess you could apply the same reasoning that your giving to a Diety.....that you can't see and you have no proof of?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I think some people struggle with the concept of a god because there is so much pressure attached to it, pressure that if he/she exists for him/her to fix their lives, make them whole, fulfill their lives etc, but with mythical creatures theres no pressure for a unicorn to do anything for them ..make sense.?
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 9:08 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Well, for me a belief in G-d didn't just happen. I struggled for a while with the concept, I even flirted with Atheism really wanting to find evidence that G-d doesn't exist. Eventually I was honest with myself and realized that Atheism didn't make sense to me. So once I chose to believe that there has to be a creator, I had to look into who He is. The religion I was raised in (Reform Judaism) again couldn't give me answers that were logical or consistent to me. SO I looked around, learned from other G-d based faiths and eventually found a logical and consistent set of ideas, so now I'm an Orthodox Jew.
    The idea of mythical creatures and other deities is contrary to the ideas I now think are true. So I don't reject other deities on the basis that there's no proof of their existence, but rather because the evidence that has been put before me tells me that there's a truth that's inconsistent with those ideas.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 10:24 AM on Apr. 12, 2011