Hormones

My daughter is 8 and has recently started crying at the drop of a hat. It is driving me nuts. She has NOT started developing yet. Do you think this could be hormones or maybe something else going on?

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 8:43 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It could be either / or. Those little hormones start bubbling before puberty really gets it's hold on them. :) Depending on where you read it, prepubescent stages of development can set in up to 2 years (or more or less) before actual puberty gets into full swing. On the other hand, it could also be that something else. Is she having any problems at school? Someone giving her a hard time? Is she having trouble with a particular subject? Did something change in her world recently? I'd first rule out all the potential outside factors and then, if I still had no answers ask the pediatrician at a well visit.

My oldest will turn 9 in June. I've noticed lately that he seems to be dabbling with some wild hormones. His mood swings are picking up. He'll *say* he thinks girls are "stupid" but he's getting whip lash as they walk by and he's blushing at certain names. ;) He's starting to exhibit signs of preadolescence. (ACK!!)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:36 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Every child develops at a different pace so comparing them as far as hormones goes prob isn't a great idea. Spending alone time w/her and working on getting down to what the real problem is sounds like a better idea. And if that doesn't work maybe talking to her teacher about this wouldn't hurt, considering they spend the majority of time w/them during the day. And there might be something you're not aware of that she can bring to your attention (w/friends, school work, bullying, etc.)..
    Mrs_Doll

Answer by Mrs_Doll at 1:26 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Something else is going on. Mine didnt start getting "hormonal" until around 10 and she started her cycles around 11. She was relatively young also for her cycles to start according to my pediatrician. I would try talking to your dd and see if something or someone else is not bothering her. They have friend issues around that age and sometimes if they lose a friend, fight with a friend etc it can affect them emotionally.

Answer by gemgem at 8:51 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• every kid is different there is no normal.. yes it may be hormones keep an eye on her.. have her go to room to calm down don't call it a time out just tell her to go to her room until she clams down.. also talk with her to see if something is bothering her
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:56 AM on Apr. 12, 2011