How do you help someone who has become a recluse, come back into the world?

This person has extremely low self esteem because of their size, and they go to work, do the minimalist of things (grocery shop, pick up grandchild) but has no social life except on the Internet.

jakesnana06

Asked by jakesnana06 at 8:44 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• Invite out for lunch, or a coffee, or to the library. Do they want to come back into the world or are they content being a recluse?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:50 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Sorry but I live that exact type of life and I prefer it. Ask her if she wants to go out. Some of us don't want to go out. She may even have agoraphobia. Don't assume that your way is what all people want.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:53 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• She doesn't like living this way. And there is no assumption here.
    jakesnana06

Comment by jakesnana06 (original poster) at 9:18 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• You just described me, except I don't work! lol I have an anxiety disorder, and even with meds, it's MUCH easier to talk to someone through text or online than it is face to face or even on the phone. Maybe that's what is going on with this person you know?
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:49 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• What keeps her away? She may want to visit a therapist/dr. and maybe get some professional help.
    I have anxiety. I know today i reallllyyy want to go to library with dd.. but dont know if it will actually get done or put off till dh gets home- then we will all go together.
    If its her weight & she has expressed this to you -- help her out & workout with her if possible (go walking or do workout dvds together). share some simple healthy recipes with her or when u visit her take some healthy food for you 2 to have for lunch/dinner instead of eating out.. (i want to lose weight too. I know it would help with my anxiety a bit.)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:03 AM on Apr. 12, 2011