How can I get her to stand up for herself?

My 8 yr old DD is very easy going. Yesterday she told me that one girl spit in another girls hand and then she wiped it on the front of my daughters jacket while they were waiting in line for PE. I was very upset to hear that. She said she told the teacher but said her teacher was surprised. Im not sure if the teacher said anything to the other child or not. I would like for my daughter to stand up for herself without fighting. She is very easy going. How do I tell her to not let people just do what they want to her?

JayRo00

Asked by JayRo00 at 8:58 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It sounds like she handled it well. She told a responsible adult and did not get into a fight. I would follow up with the teacher and see if anything was done about it.

Answer by gemgem at 9:20 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I would guess that your daughter is afraid of getting into trouble. Maybe try to more clearly define the line between sticking up for yourself, and going too far?
    JoyXtwo

Answer by JoyXtwo at 9:33 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• well she told you & her teacher so she did handle it correctly.. follow up with the teacher & the supervisor if needed
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:54 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• If that happened to my daughter I would call the school & talk to the teacher. The teacher should then tell the class that this behavior is unacceptable & that there will be consequences for their actions. If a certain girl continues to bully or harass your daughter I would then call and request a conference w/the Principal so that she can take action. And then if it continues I would ask for a conference w/the parents AND the Prinicipal until this issue is resolved. Even though they're at school all day, we are still the parent and it's our job to make sure their voices are heard and that they feel safe when they are not in our care.

Mrs_Doll

Answer by Mrs_Doll at 1:21 PM on Apr. 12, 2011