Do you think Religion should be practiced in schools?

The Pledge

Zursery

Asked by Zursery at 9:01 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• i dont see the harm in a voluntary class that teaches the basics of some religions.

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:04 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• In parochial schools.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:05 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I think it is important for kids to be educated with at least basic values.
    itsmummy

Answer by itsmummy at 9:10 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Public schools - no.
    The Pledge is not teaching religion, it is teaching pride in country. As for the line "Under God".....who is to say that in your heart, God couldn't be Allah, Mother Earth, etc.

But the TEACHING of Religion should be kept out of the public schools and is unless it is a course that a student voluntarily signs up for.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:13 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• You mean "under god"? I don't care. We are not a religious family, but I don't think my kids are set back any by saying the words "under god" in a pledge to our country.

In general, as long as it is voluntary participation for the rest (i.e. prayer at the flagpole each morning, classes, etc), I don't care at all.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:14 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• If it is an elective I don't see why not. as a normal class (like math or gym) please don't force it.. Let someone either decide to embrace it or walk away until they are ready.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:14 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• as an elective yes a forced march no.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:21 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I dont find the pledge to be religious. If you dont like it you can teach your child not to say under God, at the same time what if your child wants to? You should let them also.
    I live in the south and religion is not taught in school but our kids do hold National Prayer day at the school and the parents all get together with their kids at the flag pole and pray before school. Again those who choose not to attend are not forced to, but it is there for those of us who want to. I dont see a problem with God or prayer and dont understand why anyone else would if they dont believe, how does it affect them?

Answer by gemgem at 9:22 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• In public schools, nope. But honestly, I never considered the Pledge religious.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:26 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• By the institution? No.
    By each individual? If they choose.

Religion/Faith should be a part of who we are, not just something we believe. My "religious beliefs" affect every aspect of my life - from who I pray to to how I diaper my child. And the older I am getting the more I am understanding this and altering my actions to fit that. So for someone like me it would be impossible to stop them from "practicing religion" in school or anywhere else, because my practice is my lifestyle.

However, I do not believer the school as an institution should be practicing or pushing one religion or another, unless of course it's a religious or private school. As for the pledge, I do believe it should be taken back to the original version, which didn't include the "under God." That's how it was written & adopted, and how it was meant to be. And of course it is much more fitting to a country so mixed with different beliefs.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:35 AM on Apr. 12, 2011