What do I do with all this meat? Ham especially?

Egh. My fridge and freezer died two days ago and we were able to get a new one the same day...but most of the meat in the freezer was most of the way (if not all the way) thawed by the time we discovered the problem.

I kept everything that was still very cold and/or partially frozen, but I do not want to refreeze it, as I have heard it is not safe or affects the meat quality. Everyone suggested cooking it all and freezing it in meals. I like this idea because I am 8 months pregnant and it would be nice to have some meals I could pull out the first week I am home.

Obviously, I did not buy meat this week, LOL, so we can use some of this meat in our regular meals. I made several casseroles yesterday and froze some ground beef in one pound bags that I can put in meals later, but I have TEN POUNDS of ham that I have no idea what to do with but try to eat a lot this week. I also have about 4 more pounds of chicken, a pack of hot dogs, bologna, and a pound of sausage that I still need to use up.

Any suggestions? Especially about what to do with all this ham?!

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:02 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Ham: cube and use in ommlettes, ham and beans(freeze), ham sandwiches

chicken: chicken noodle soup (cook chicken in water, take out cut up and put noodles in the same water), bbq chicken(cook, shred, add bbq sauce and freeze), chicken salad (cook, cube, add other ingredients).

hot dogs: hot dogs, cut them up and put them in beans or mac and cheese. bunco weenies (cut hot dogs in 1/3rds and wrap each with a slice of bacon, sprinkle with brown sugar and bake 350 for 30 min).

bologna: sandwiches

sausage: cut up and fry with potatos, onions and and peppers
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 9:28 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Ham chowder is way yummy! You can make it like clam chowder but replace the clams with ham and call it done. My family will eat and eat and eat that stuff until we are all stuffed like thanks giving! sounds like neighborhood dinner party time, we had the same thing happen and threw a party for our friends and neighbors (that we liked lol) and asked them to bring drinks only and served up several different meat dishes.. problem solved!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:06 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• LOL. I actually thought about that. The ham is all cut to ham steaks, so i am thinking grilling them on the grill with some sides sounds good. I had to throw so much out, I would hate to throw anymore out if I can get it into someone. It is just a giant pain. Maybe some ham steaks with breakfast too? LOL. I have a feeling we will be very sick of ham by the end of the week.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 9:11 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Split pea soup..... really any bean soup is good with ham that is just my favorite. This you could freeze after making.

Ham and Au gratin potatoes.

Ham with pasta we usually do  mushrooms, onions, parm cheese.

The ham I wouldn't really worry about refreezing if it was me. I will usually cook a big ham then freeze the leftovers in smaller packages for future meals and have never had an off taste issue.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 9:26 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• The ham is like any other meat - if you cook it first, you can refreeze it to eat later. And since it's fully cooked anyway, it wouldn't be as big of a deal to jut refreeze it. But a couple freezeable meals using it - scalloped potatoes & ham, cheesy hashbrowns & ham, ham & bean soup.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• It's OK to refreeze meat if it thawed thawed in the fridge. I know this for fact, even though some people beg to differ.

Let me explain to you about bacteria growing on food. Bacteria loves warmth. When meat starts to become room temperature, bacteria begins to grow. The longer it sits out, the more bacteria you will have on your meat.They multiply. When your meat is frozen bacteria growth is inhibited. If you let it thaw in the fridge, it's still too cold for bacteria to grow so you can safely throw it back in your freezer again without worrying about bacteria growth.

If you let something thaw on the counter, the bacteria will grow much faster because of the warm room temps. If you stick it back in the freezer, not all that bacteria will die. Some of it may lay dormant until you thaw it out again & it then the bacteria will grow very rapidly since it already began to grow once, yet went dormant.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:52 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• any time you thaw something in the fridge, it's OK to re-freeze. If you thaw it out on the counter, it must be cooked right away.

food poisoning as all because of bacteria growth....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:53 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I'd cook u the ham and refreeze in slices. I agree with samurai ^ you can refreeze safely as you DIDNT thaw at room temp.
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 10:25 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• No answers but much sympathy. A broken fridge or freezer SUCKS.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 3:47 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Soup? I can't eat ham so not much help here
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 5:04 PM on Apr. 12, 2011